PDA

View Full Version : Using the Milwaukee 3.5hp router with the Bench Dog ProLift-from the horse's mouth

Cary Swoveland
10-01-2007, 6:06 PM
A few days ago, I purchased a Bench Dog ProLift from Amazon, with the current 45% discount. As many of you know, it was designed for the Porter Cable 7518 router (3.5hp), and Bench Dog sells adapters for various smaller-diameter router motors.

I was interested in using the ProLift with Milwaukee's 3.5hp router. There is no mention of that router at Bench Dog's web site. An internet search suggested that some have fitted that router using shop-made shims.

There are three Milwaukee router products that could be considered (prices are at Amazon):

- Milkwaukee 5625-20 router, $274
- Motor for 5625-20, $299
- Jessem 05626, which is the 5620-20 router motor, paired with an externally-mounted combination on-off switch and speed control, $489.

You are thinking, "why would anyone buy just the motor?" and "the last option is attractive, but too pricey".

The interesting thing is that, while Amazon has no sale in progress for either of the first two options, you can get 45% off with the third option. (Chris Smith brought that to our attention last week--thanks, Chris.) To get the 45% off (dropping the price to $269), you must also buy a qualifying power tool sold by Amazon (not by an Amazon vendor), which can be as little as $10-15 (see the 45%-off thread, about six pages back now).

Incidentally, someone suggested that the 45% off sale ended Sept. 30, but its demise was greatly exaggerated. It is still going strong--I just ordered a CMT/Sommerfeld router set (and Dewalt palm sander on sale for $39)today, Oct. 1, and got 45% off.

One more thing: the Jessem/Milwaukee offering comes with 0.03" shims, for use with the Jessem Mast-R-Lift. Considering that both the ProLift and Mast-R-Lift were designed for the PC 7518, I figured there was a good chance the shims would work with the ProLift.

I emailed Bench Dog for a definitive answer, and that is precisely what I got back. Here is the email I received (with BD's blessing to publish it, minus names):

The Milwaukee 3.5 HP EVS Router Table Motor with remote power and variable speed (sold as JessEm Part # 05626) fits the Bench Dog ProLift perfectly, using the .030" shim. It required only a minimum amount of spreading to allow the motor to drop into the lift.

This is possible because Milwaukee removed the height adjustment mechanism from the motor and relocated the power switch, speed control circuitry/dial to the remote module.

It is inconclusive, however, if the 3.5 HP motor out of a Milwaukee #5625-20 Router would fit the ProLift.

As you can see from the attached images, the location for a motor-mounted power switch falls right behind the ProLift height adjustment screw. (This is the only orientation that works.) It is possible that the switch may not actually interfere with the adjustment screw. In that case, leaving the switch "on" and plugging the motor into a switched outlet on the router table would work just fine. Changing speed would be an inconvenience, however.

Please e-mail me if you need further details.

Hope this helps..

Here is one of the pics attached to the email (most of the others are the same pic from different angles):

You won't be surprised that I bought the Jessem/Milkaukee unit, and I expect to make good use of that 6v. B&D screwdriver.

Cary

Ben Grunow
10-03-2007, 8:45 PM
Enjoy that lift. I love mine and the weight and ease of use are such a pleasure. Hook it to a DC and you can route with NO DUST!

BD products are good and stout. You could just cut the plastic fins away from that switch as the unit is for dedicated RT use.