PDA

View Full Version : Submitting to peer pressure- my first mirror

Darren Null
10-01-2007, 5:40 PM
It's come out a bit streaky, but it was an old mirror with (from the "Grandad's shed" smell) a layer of lead-based paint over the top of normal mirror backing. Etchtoned the rose and butterflies and burned @ 300dpi. I'm quite pleased with the result, apart from the streakyness, and that was probably due to unevenness of the mirroring. Better results with a new cheap mirror, I should think.
I backlit it a bit; just to be different:
http://cambs.com/etch/mirror.jpg

Stephen Beckham
10-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Darren - nice - how big is it? Are you going to paint the back black or leave it for the light to shine through?

You guys have the old "Grandad's shed" smell over in spain too? That's were it started... Must have come over on the boat 500 years ago and been here every since...:eek: I bet the Natives were pissed....

Darren Null
10-01-2007, 10:12 PM
The mirror is 33cm across by 55cm high...umm bit more than a foot by a bit more than 2 feet if I remember my inchy things correctly- been a while.

The Grandad's shed effect only started when I started vapourising the (presumably) lead-containing paint. I haven't smelled paint like that since I were a lad. And wished I hadn't smelled it today, if you want the truth.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to backlight it yet. Probably am though. I'm not going to paint it black, although I might put a sheet of black card there in the meantime.

Next mirror project, possibly, is to do an image of fireworks and light it up with those RGB-cycling LEDs. Or something blue and tranquil and moonlit.

But. It's beermats tomorrow. Have to pay for the materials somehow.