PDA

View Full Version : end cut crown??

John Wibbenmeyer
10-01-2007, 2:45 PM
I'm trying to make a simple flag display for my brothers flag. When I cut the 45s they have a "crown" in the middle which won't allow them to fit snug. What's goin on? I'm using a chop saw,blade is new.The board is plumb when it's cut. I ain't got a clue.

Lou Pole
10-01-2007, 2:47 PM
It might be the blade is pulling the wood around. Try clamping the wood to the fence and see if it's any better. If not, try a thicker blade that will not wander as much.

Greg Crawford
10-01-2007, 2:51 PM
My old Delta 10" CMS will go off track when the cut gets tougher. I have to apply more pressure, and it torques the whole saw. I've found the best miters are done on a table saw with a miter sled. If you really want to get precise, you can trim them with a hand plane on a shooting board.

glenn bradley
10-01-2007, 3:22 PM
If your CMS isn't passing through the cut like a hot knife through butter you may get some deviation. My CMS does a great job up until the wood is too hard. That is, redwood, pine, cedar = no problem, Beech, Oak, etc. not so good.

I built a quick miter sled. No more problems.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=66887&d=1182742777

John Wibbenmeyer
10-01-2007, 3:31 PM
Appreciate the info ya'll.

John Wibbenmeyer
10-01-2007, 6:49 PM
I did securly clamp the board to the fence,and made sure it was plumb when I cut it. I was looking at the bottom piece walla go and the 45s on it are just fine (no crown). Idunno what I did wrong to the shorter boards,I cut them all the same and they're from the same piece of wood. I planed the board to uniform thickness,Like I say Idunno what except,,,, Hmmmm,,, Maybe MAYBE (my bro is jackin with me) :eek: LOL

Ben Grunow
10-03-2007, 8:40 PM
Might try just slowing down when cutting and making sure to not force the saw left or right, just straight down.

You could also sandwich the piece between 2 sacrificial boards when cutting and I bet the problem would go away (temp solution to get the job done)

Sounds like punky wood or a wobbly blade to me.

John Wibbenmeyer
10-04-2007, 6:06 PM
didn't think about sandwiching the board,Thanks I'll gve that a shot