PDA

View Full Version : Painting a metal door

Joe Pelonio
10-01-2007, 2:14 PM
We have these french doors that are wood, clad in aluminum, with plastic trim. The dual pane glass is one piece, with plastic strips to make it look like smaller windows.

My wife wants me to paint them an off-white color to match the new wall color she wants in the family room. What I need help with is what to prime the aluminum part with. I figured I can use Krylon plastic primer for the plastic
parts, but the aluminum could be powder coated or baked enamel, I don't have any way to know which. What will stick to it and allow painting with latex?

Gary Keedwell
10-01-2007, 3:12 PM
I think Bin 1-2-3 will stick to about anything.
Gary

Joe Pelonio
10-01-2007, 3:45 PM
I can try it, just happen to have most of a quart.

Rich Engelhardt
10-02-2007, 6:38 AM
Hello,
Zinsser recommends their Bullesye 1-2-3 for surfaces with a lot of movement, like Aluminum. The B-I-N (pigmented shellac) will work ok, but the 1-2-3 is more flexible.
Personally, even though the 1-2-3 is preferred, I'd use the B-I-N simply because it "flows" a little better.
1-2-3 is my "go to" primer for everything except stain blocking/odor blocking, but it does tend to leave brushmarks.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-02-2007, 1:09 PM
How about disabusing her of the idea of changing the door color?
It's a nice color as it is.

Joe Pelonio
10-02-2007, 2:16 PM
I'm still working on that, while painting the kitchen cabinets.

Leigh Costello
10-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Joe,
If it's not too late, most doors are now primed at the factory for painting. That said, a good quality indoor paint will work well over this. I recommend a semi-gloss paint over a flat paint. Washable latex or oil base. The same type of outdoor paint will work outdoors, but should not be used indoors. I worked in the hardware business for quite awhile and the paint department was my "baby."

My hubby wishes I knew a lot more about electric, but, sadly, I don't.

Enjoy your project!