PDA

View Full Version : How's it hanging ? (Air Cleaner)

Lewis Cobb
10-01-2007, 2:11 PM
For those of you that are hanging your air filters from the ceiling of your workshop- what did you use to hang it? Chains, Springs? Rope?

I was going to use some chains but then thought that the industrial "webbing" straps (nylon straps like mini seat belts) with some eyelets would be better - at least quieter. Then I had the idea of springs like some air exchangers are hanging from in houses to isolate the vibrations from the structure.

Would appreciate some input from those that have 'em hanging high .....

Thanks
Lewis

James Gillespie, Jr.
10-01-2007, 2:22 PM
For those of you that are hanging your air filters from the ceiling of your workshop- what did you use to hang it? Chains, Springs? Rope?

I was going to use some chains but then thought that the industrial "webbing" straps (nylon straps like mini seat belts) with some eyelets would be better - at least quieter. Then I had the idea of springs like some air exchangers are hanging from in houses to isolate the vibrations from the structure.

Would appreciate some input from those that have 'em hanging high .....

Thanks
Lewis

I'm using chains and large eye-bolts through the joists in my unfinished basement. Each side of the joist was reinforced with a length of 2x4 as the joists are the "engineered" type. Not much noise on the main level of the house, but there sure is some vibration felt through the floor.

Cheers,
James

Chuck Lenz
10-01-2007, 2:43 PM
Lewis, I used chains to hang my air filtration unit and I haven't noticed any annoying vibrations or sounds, but it's in a detached garage, so noise or vibration really isn't a issue for me like it would be in James situation, but I may now try rubber tubeing, like automotive fuel line sliped over the S hooks aproach just to see if it makes a difference. Notice I did not hang the chains straight down, I hung them in a slight outward angle, side to side and front to back to prevent any swaying of the unit. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/Woodchuck_/DeltaAir1.jpg

glenn bradley
10-01-2007, 3:25 PM
I used rope to isolate vibration. There are chains as well but they have a bit of slack in them just in case the rope were to fail. Probably never happen but it hangs right over my bench . . . belt and suspenders for me.

Steven Wilson
10-01-2007, 3:36 PM
use chains

Lewis Cobb
10-01-2007, 3:41 PM
Lewis, I used chains to hang my air filtration unit and I haven't noticed any annoying vibrations or sounds, but it's in a detached garage, so noise or vibration really isn't a issue for me like it would be in James situation, but I may now try rubber tubeing, like automotive fuel line sliped over the S hooks aproach just to see if it makes a difference. Notice I did not hang the chains straight down, I hung them in a outward angle, side to side and front to back to prevent any swaying of the unit. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/Woodchuck_/DeltaAir1.jpg

Arghhhh - I already mounted the hooks so as to have the chains going straight down and never thought about the swaying.......oh well, will just try it out and see if I have any problems I guess.....

thanks for the tip

Mike Spanbauer
10-01-2007, 5:12 PM
Exactly what I did for my JDS unit. Works well.

No dust layers if I let it run for 4 hours once done working out there.

mike

Gary Keedwell
10-01-2007, 5:18 PM
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos3765/2/46/23/9/66/9/966092346207_0_ALB.jpg This is how I have mine.:p
Gary

Mike Spanbauer
10-01-2007, 6:06 PM
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos3765/2/46/23/9/66/9/966092346207_0_ALB.jpg This is how I have mine.:p
Gary

A red X ? ;)

mike

Mike Pierson
10-01-2007, 6:11 PM
I use chains with some s-hooks. Looks alot like Chuck's.

I hung in basement from rafters...the rafters don't exactly line up with the eye hooks on the unit and I wanted to get it as high as possible so as to not bang m head into it... used just s-hook in the front and s-hook and chain links in the back to get the unit to "balance" even front to back.

No vibration to speak of - but you can hear the blower through the floor if you are in the room directly above...no biggie.

Lewis Cobb
10-01-2007, 6:18 PM
wow - lots of hits on this in a few short hours - thanks for all the input fellows.

John Bickle
10-01-2007, 6:30 PM
I hung mine on hooks screwed into the rafters. Then used chains with carabiners to each end. That way I can take it down quick and it went up quick and I knew that it wouldn't slip off the "S" hook.

Dirk Lewis
10-01-2007, 7:36 PM
Lewis - I hung mine with some of my old climbing webbing (kinda like seatbelt material) and old carabiners. Works like a charm and hardly any noise/vibes above it.

Cheers - D

Lewis Cobb
10-01-2007, 7:46 PM
Lewis - I hung mine with some of my old climbing webbing (kinda like seatbelt material) and old carabiners. Works like a charm and hardly any noise/vibes above it.

Cheers - D

Dirk - Too bad I never did any climbing - well, except for the time two of my buddies and I hiked up Mt Kilamanjaro - that was long ago and more of a "hike" than a climb though :) .

I should dig around town and see if I can find some of these carabiners - sounds like it makes quick work of going up, and taking down if needed - not to mention the isolation provided from the webbing......

thanks.

PS - you have a fine last name there by the way......:D

Del Williams
10-01-2007, 8:39 PM
I hung my JDS filter unit using hooks into the ceiling joist, auto exhaust hangers for vibration isolation and then short chains attached to the filter unit. No vibration transmitted to the living space above regardless of speed of the motor.

Rick Levine
10-01-2007, 9:42 PM
This is how I hung mine. During construction I added some 2x8's between the rafters since I knew I wanted to hang air cleaners and put eye hooks in them but using eye hooks in the rafters themselves should work also. I did use lockable rings instead of "S" hooks for a little more security.

Jeff Raymond
10-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Got mine on chains.

The instructions were to put it at 7' above the deck, but put mine a little lower, closer to the dust (DUH) and it works great. It's a Pioneer, and looks like the Deltas shown in the pictures, except a different color.

I also like the remote control. Must be a guy thing, huh?

Dave MacArthur
10-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I hung my Jet unit on chains to the garage rafters, but put some blocking between the rafters there.

One note for you, at least on the Jet the eyebolts to hang it are not the same distance as rafters, which made my chains angle in sharply to keep it up high. Also, if yours has a remote control, give some thought to which way the controls point! I hate having to lean around with my head near the wall so I can see if I have it set for 2/4/6 hours run time...

It's pretty heavy to get up there too...

Brian Kent
10-01-2007, 11:27 PM
How did you all get it up there. Do you put it on one shoulder while reaching over the top with your free hand? Use pulleys?

Mine is sitting on the floor, still waiting to be hung.

Roger Reynolds
10-02-2007, 12:04 AM
I used springs with safety chains. Zero vibration.

Dave MacArthur
10-02-2007, 12:11 AM
I heaved it to the top of a ladder, hooked up the 4 chains, then kept shortening them a link at a time, round and round. Use stronger chains than you think you need, definitely with welded links, not bent...my first chains were lucky to not kill me!

Wilbur Pan
10-02-2007, 7:25 AM
How did you all get it up there. Do you put it on one shoulder while reaching over the top with your free hand? Use pulleys?

Mine is sitting on the floor, still waiting to be hung.

I called my neighbor.

Mine's hung from chains into hooks that are screwed into the joists in my basement ceiling. It's directly under my kitchen, and we really don't hear much noise. Our central air conditioning makes more noise than the air cleaner does.

Michael McCoy
10-02-2007, 8:59 AM
Being space impaired like many of us (both wall and ceiling) I put mine on the top shelf of a mobile unit. I keep my Fein on the bottom shelf so it's handy for my sanders and the big fan can be used as fresh air in or exhaust at the window depending on what I'm needing at the moment. An added benefit is that it looks like an impenetrable unit from the outside so might have a burglar deterrent. Sorry the pic doesn't show the whole simple setup but it's all I have with me.

John Clark-COLORADO
10-02-2007, 1:14 PM
I hung my JDS filter unit using hooks into the ceiling joist, auto exhaust hangers for vibration isolation and then short chains attached to the filter unit. No vibration transmitted to the living space above regardless of speed of the motor.

I did something similar with my JDS: hung it from doubled black rubber bungees from each corner, backed up with some stout chain in case the rubber should ever fail. Little or no noise/vibration transmitted to the rest of the house.

Because my workshop ceiling is pretty low, I also stuck foam pipe insulation on all the edges of the JDS, to protect my head when I inadvertently bump into the thing (which is rather often, given the poor state of my peripheral vision). Looks odd but works.

John

Jerry Grant
10-02-2007, 1:30 PM
I used the same setup except I inserted four water hose washers at each connection (chain to I bolt)to the Air Cleaner to dampen vibration. Works great!!