PDA

View Full Version : God bless the Bargain Table at Lowes!

Maurice Ungaro
10-01-2007, 1:57 PM
After unloading half a tractor trailer of pumpkins at church yesterday (the other half had already been unloaded by the time I got there.....), my wife wanted to go to Lowes to get some mumms and odds & ends. I was beat after the pumpkin workout..not to mention dirty and smelly. Away we went to the BLue Borg.

I was rewarded for my efforts when I found this Delta sander at the bargain table, at HALF OFF! I prudently asked permission to buy, and after showing it to my wife, she said "well, you just can't beat half-off, BUT, you better organize the garage by the end of the week". "Yes m'aam" was the appropriate response, which was given.

The tool guy say me standing at the checkout line and said to me "It's your lucky day - when I put that out ther this morning, I didn't think it would last half the day."

Greg Peterson
10-01-2007, 2:25 PM
My Lowes had the Delta sanding table marked down to $57.80. Retail tag was $139. I didn't think twice about it. Too good a deal to pass up.

glenn bradley
10-01-2007, 4:23 PM
I love it when they do that. I have picked up a few things that were supposedly clearance (no longer going to carry them). Those items are still being carried. Hey, who is going to ask questions when I can get 2 batteries and a charger for my DeWalt drill for $10? Great score. Keep watching. I do.

Maurice Ungaro
10-01-2007, 5:47 PM
When I walk into Lowes, it's automatic - I gravitate to the Bargain Table. Everything else can wait.

Don Bullock
10-01-2007, 10:41 PM
My Lowes never has tools like that on sale.:mad:

Congratulations. Now, you need to post some pictures of the "organized" garage.;):rolleyes: :D

Dave Lehnert
10-01-2007, 11:24 PM
I once got a Dewalt Scroll saw with stand for $199 at Lowe's Reg. $500

My best deal was the PC 1/4 sheet sander for $49.90 with a $50.00 rebate. They paid me .10 to take it from them. Got to love Lowe's.

Grant Vanbokklen
10-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Yeah I got one of those for $45 first part of September. I beleive this is just one of the items by Delta that Lowes is clearing out. Great deal!
The SKU is 201542

Brian Keith
10-02-2007, 2:44 AM
I once got a door knob for cheap at Lowes haha. Ya my local Lowes never run clearenced items.

David Cramer
10-02-2007, 8:31 AM
my store has 2 and they won't put it on the clearance table until there is one left. The guy on the phone said the manager can make it whatever price that he wants, maybe $57.80, maybe not. It is now marked down to $210 right now from $229, because there's 2 left. That is IF it's the same sander that Maurice got and it matches the SKU from Grant, 201542. That's the number that I gave them over the phone and they said it was a delta sander.

So I sent my 99 year old grandma in to buy one of the sanders and now there's one left and I am sitting here watching the guy pick it up and put it on the table and mark it down to $23.99!!!! I am typing from my laptop as it happens. I bought it for $23.99 plus tax. I just told my grandma to get out of the car and return the one that she bought for regular price and get back to the car quickly because I'm in a hurry to get home and try this baby out. Man does she walk slowly and it really irritates me. Now the one she returned is marked down to $13.99 and I bought that too. Isn't life great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I am now awake and I did indeed make up the whole 2nd paragraph!!! Are you kidding me, I would never do that to my grandma, she'd kick my butt. As my wife says, my mind never stops plotting, er...thinking, yeah that's it. I just wanted to see who was awake this morning.

Seriously, I'm waiting for one of the 2 to be sold and then I will "pounce" all over that box like a bee on honey! If Maurice can do it, why can't I?

Have a great day people and happy tool hunting!

Dave

Matt Meiser
10-02-2007, 9:23 AM
Watching the big boxes for clearance is one of my favorite pasttimes.

Some examples:
- new front porch lights, $10 for both. No idea how much they originally were, but most nice ones are >$50 each.
- new fiberglass front door with leaded glass window, $300. Mis-ordered special order, originally $1200.
- Delta air cleaner, $120, originally over twice that.
- Dishwasher--can't remember how much but I do know it was well under 1/2 of the original price. I knew it was sitting there when ours went out because we'd been seeing it in the center aisle for weeks thinking it was a good deal and watching the price drop each week. Then ours happened to die so I called them and they still had it. I planned to offer them a certain amount and when I asked if they could "go any lower" on the price she said sure and went way under what I planned to offer.
- Vent free gas fireplace unit, 1/2 off. Two years later my parents bought the same one with the same deal.
- Clearance plants from the nursery. At least if you buy them late summer, they still come with the 1 year guarantee.
- 5 2'x8' pieces of Formica. $5 each, or $10 total if I took them all (I think they really wanted me to take all of them :D)

Randal Stevenson
10-02-2007, 9:33 AM
my store has 2 and they won't put it on the clearance table until there is one left. The guy on the phone said the manager can make it whatever price that he wants, maybe $57.80, maybe not. It is now marked down to $210 right now from $229, because there's 2 left. That is IF it's the same sander that Maurice got and it matches the SKU from Grant, 201542. That's the number that I gave them over the phone and they said it was a delta sander.

So I sent my 99 year old grandma in to buy one of the sanders and now there's one left and I am sitting here watching the guy pick it up and put it on the table and mark it down to $23.99!!!! I am typing from my laptop as it happens. I bought it for $23.99 plus tax. I just told my grandma to get out of the car and return the one that she bought for regular price and get back to the car quickly because I'm in a hurry to get home and try this baby out. Man does she walk slowly and it really irritates me. Now the one she returned is marked down to $13.99 and I bought that too. Isn't life great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

ROTFLMAO

I was waiting for "Man does she walk slowly and it really irritates me, so I plugged in the one to return, flipped it upside down and had her ride it into the store."

Lou Ferrarini
10-02-2007, 9:53 AM
I love Lowes. The best deal I ever got, one of these for $57.00. Yes you read it right, $57.00.

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/store_item.php?iID=213&arrPath=1,11,53,p213,

Bill Arnold
10-02-2007, 11:32 AM
I've spoken with the manager at our local Lowe's and he claims to know nothing about them unloading all their Delta equipment. :confused: He seems insistent on squeezing every penny out of what he has left, apparently. The only markdown is the AP100 air cleaner which is $92.78 -- told him to call me when it gets to $30. :rolleyes:

Chuck Harris
10-02-2007, 11:42 AM
A while back I ran into the same thing. The Delta 13" 2 speed planer for $199. The Borgs still haven't figured out that not having anyone in the tool area with a clue means they will never sell the higher end stuff. We have two stores in town that stock the same planer as their low end model.

Quesne Ouaques
10-02-2007, 3:09 PM
Maurice:

Could you please post the Lowes product number? (you can IM me if you prefer). I am trying to see if any of my local Lowes stores have this item on sale.

An excellent buy, if I can get one. Thanks!

David Cramer
10-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Hey Randall, I'm glad you liked my funny! Just tryin' to keep things light:p around here and put a smile:) on a face or two. Who couldn't use a smile to start the day? I wake up laughing and go to bed laughing..........................God Bless my wife for putting up with me, but hey, my kids think I'm the cats meow!!!!

Seriously, I wish I lived where Maurice lives and could have gotten the same deal. Not likely going to happen, not for me anyways. Take care!

Dave

Don Stanley
10-02-2007, 11:05 PM
It has been my experience at the Lowe's in Yakima, Washington, to look for the small yellow stickers (about 1" x 2") marked "Clearance" - posted on the shelf with the item. That's where I've found good buys. Never on the clearance table prominently located in front of the tool department.

-Don

Richard Blaine
10-03-2007, 12:03 AM
My Lowes, in Northern California, still has the Biesemeyer fence at $228, and that's after a month of trying to get $380. I just don't think they understand the pricing going on in the rest of the country.

-- Richard --

P.S. Maybe by Christmas they'll drop that fence down to $80.

Anchor Sarslow
10-03-2007, 12:32 AM
I spent the last 2 hours talking to a lady at my local Lowes store.. called herself the Clearance Queen. ANyway, she said that because Dewalt and company bought Delta/Porter Cable, that all of those tools will eventually go on clearance due to the changovers.

4 weeks ago the Delta 12" Drill press without the light was sold en mass for $32.50 as well as the 2 benchtop sanders. SHe said she is the one marking everything.. If I see a clearance tag, bring the item to her and she wil auto matically mark it half off it is not already on the clearnace shelves..

Last week I just missed the $600 Dewalt Planer return.. A guy fed a nailed board through a brand new one.. they reboxed it and put it on the clearance shelf for $50.. THe blades are reversable.. and an extra set is only $50.. I bummed watching some guy walk away with my thickness planer.

AND it is up to the manager or Managers designee to mark whatever prices...

SO, watch for clearance on Porter Cable AND Delta

James Mudler
10-03-2007, 9:31 AM
I picked up a framing rig - tool belt (2 pouches, padded belt, hammer loop and suspenders) for $2.13 last month.

Derek Tuchscherer
10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
You all suck!...But seriously, here in Canada, the big boxes think that $3.00 off of a $300 item is a "CLEARANCE" price.

David Cramer
10-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey Derek, there's about 40 homes on my street for sale in Michigan. You can get a great deal on a house and save even more money on tools at Lowes!

But oh yeah, you'd have to find a job somewhere in the state. Never mind.

Dave

Pete Brown
10-03-2007, 1:52 PM
The only stuff on the clearance tables at my local Lowes is junk. The only deal I ever had there was picking up a bunch of nails for my hitachi for a couple bucks a box (big boxes).

They never seem to clearance any real power tools. I once bought a saw body there for cheap, but that was as close as I got :)

Pete

Chris Barnett
10-03-2007, 2:14 PM
Not to worry. When Lowes has a loss on tools, they distribute that loss to the other tools and this way pass that loss on to me [et al :) ]. Bought a Besse for $80 so I'm not whining, but really wish Lowes would have sales like Amazon. Just glad to support some folks getting miter saws for $57. :D :D :D . Never, never got anything off at my old time down home hardware. How sweet it is!

Maurice Ungaro
10-03-2007, 2:27 PM
Quesne, et al:

I looked at the sticker on the box, and the SKU# appears to be 201542. Hope this helps some of you get a good deal! For waht it's worth, the cashier needed a manager overide to give me the discounted price.

Richard Niemiec
10-03-2007, 3:31 PM
When I lived in Charlotte, the Lowes was always putting stuff on sale for deep discount on discontinued goods. My Jet Drill press, floor standing model was the best score, $75 if you can believe it, its still sold for close to $400. Now I am in NJ, the Lowes are generally not all that old, and they just don't have the older stock that sat around for years unsold. But I still watch.