PDA

View Full Version : Question for jewelry box builders

Bill Huber
10-01-2007, 1:21 PM
I have been looking on the net and trying to figure out how I should line some jewelry boxes.

I have thought about getting some velvet and gluing it to shirt weight cardboard cut to the size and shape I need. This way it could be replaced very easy in the future.

I have thought about just cutting the velvet to the size I need and then gluing it to the inside of the box where needed. If I had to replace it the glue would be kind of hard to get off I would think.

I looked at the spray on stuff and am not sure just how good it is and how it will look when done.

So how do you line your boxes????

Maurice Ungaro
10-01-2007, 1:44 PM
I used the velvet frm Lee Valley that has an adhesive backing. I made a jewelry box for my then fiancee - it's been holding up for the last 4 years. If there ever is a problem, just enhance the adhesive backing with some 3M 777.

Rick Thom
10-01-2007, 2:23 PM
Bill, swede makes a nice job.. lots of colours, different hides, available cheap from leather repair, makers of coats, furniture makers etc. Often you just need scraps which they would throw out anyway.

john bateman
10-01-2007, 2:25 PM
I bought the cheapest peel and stick vinyl floor tile (39 cents), cut it to 1/16" smaller than the opening it would sit in. Then wrapped the velvet around it so that the "waste" was embedded in the adhesive. Worked OK.

http://members.verizon.net/%7Epecker/jbox/12croprs.jpg

Jim Myers
10-01-2007, 3:03 PM
I used some Faux Suede shelf liner for the one I built. You would need to cut some construction paper and stick it to that then place inside the box but it looks good and people think you spent a fortune to line a box.

Lee Hingle
10-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Bill,
You have been given some good advice. I use velvet from a fabric store, as even though velvet is expensive, it is still cheaper than the self adhesive stuff.

I start by cutting a thick cardboard or 1/8" plywood base to glue the velvet to, however before I glue the velvet I glue a piece of 1/4" thick headliner foam to the board/cardboard. Then I wrap the velvet tightly around the foam and glue it to the back of the ply/cardboard. The assembly is then press-fit into the bottom of the box. I find it gives a very nice touch and everyone who sees the box will touch the velvet and go "wow" when it gives a little. The headliner foam is usually available at the same fabric stores that carry the velvet.

Lee

Joe Jensen
10-02-2007, 6:38 AM
I have been looking on the net and trying to figure out how I should line some jewelry boxes.

I have thought about getting some velvet and gluing it to shirt weight cardboard cut to the size and shape I need. This way it could be replaced very easy in the future.

I have thought about just cutting the velvet to the size I need and then gluing it to the inside of the box where needed. If I had to replace it the glue would be kind of hard to get off I would think.

I looked at the spray on stuff and am not sure just how good it is and how it will look when done.

So how do you line your boxes????

I built 8 boxes, (32 drawers) over the holidays last year and I did what you were thinking. They turned out nice, but they were a major hassle. I was trying to be very precise. I used spray adhesive to attach the velvet to the cardboard. I had rather shallow drawers, and wood dividers, so I had to be careful not to let the thickness change much in the corners where the material overlapped (under the cardboard). In the end, I spent maybe 15 minutes per velvet thingy times 32, so I hate doing it. If you can afford the thickness, I like the floor tile idea, and I like the foam padding idea as well. I would have liked the foam but my draweres were only 1.1875" deep to start...joe

John Grogan
10-02-2007, 8:18 AM
For my first boxes I went the seude/velvet and cardboard route, but I did not like the look. I went on line (google) and bought some scrap leather. Much thicker better looking. BTW I glue the leather to the box with titebond

Bill Huber
10-02-2007, 9:03 AM
Man oh man now I have a lot more ideas to work on.
I think I am going to try some different thing on some test wood and then see what I like the best.
I like the foam backing and that may be the way I go in the end.

Thanks to all for all the input, it really helps to hear what others have done and how they did it.

Bill Huber
10-02-2007, 9:07 AM
I bought the cheapest peel and stick vinyl floor tile (39 cents), cut it to 1/16" smaller than the opening it would sit in. Then wrapped the velvet around it so that the "waste" was embedded in the adhesive. Worked OK.

Now John that is about 4 times the boxes that I am building and that is a beautiful box, I am sure who ever got it was really happy.

What is funny is I just noticed the little handles for the top, I had forgot all about them, I guess I better get some ordered.