PDA

View Full Version : HVLP finish suggestions

frank shic
10-01-2007, 12:54 PM
i got the entire HVLP outfit set up last night and opened up a can of emtech sanding sealer that i bought from target coatings last year only to find that the entire thing has turned to a thick gel! i don't have time to wait for another can to arrive so i was wondering what is available at home depot that i could spray?

Steve Milito
10-01-2007, 1:14 PM
Zinsser Sanding Sealer is a 2lb cut of dewaxed shellac. You can cut to a 1 lb cut or spray it as is.

David Giles
10-01-2007, 2:22 PM
Sherman Williams waterbased lacquer. Probably a store close to you. Second the Zinsser suggestion though.

Jim Becker
10-01-2007, 3:41 PM
I spray a lot of the Sealcoat.

And do contact Jeff at Target about your Emtech sealer...

Tim Sproul
10-01-2007, 5:36 PM
....and opened up a can of emtech sanding sealer that i bought from target coatings last year only to find that the entire thing has turned to a thick gel!.

That happened with can of Emtech 8800 to me too. Jeff promptly replaced it - although shelf life is only a year.

Are you spraying 9000 or 9300? USL can be used as a sealer too.

frank shic
10-01-2007, 6:56 PM
thanks guys. i just stopped by sherwin williams and bought a can of the polycrylic as well as the sanding sealer. i'll test out a piece tonight before i spray all the drawer fronts and end panels. tim, good to know that target will likely replace it since i love the stuff. i'm spraying the finish previously labelled as conversion varnish. not sure what the equivalent is nowadays - hybrivar? USL? i really want a slightly warm, yellow finish like you get after spraying the emtech 8800.

frank shic
10-08-2007, 11:24 PM
well, jeff did not replace the emtech 8800 or the 8000 that gelled up this past year, but he did at least give me some decent advice on FAST-DRYING water-based products: the ultraseal and the USL (ultimate spray lacquer). i had a TERRIBLE time with the sherwin williams sanding sealer although the minmax water-based polycrylic worked really well. i finally picked up a quart of zinsser sealcoat at rockler this evening - it was the LAST box and it was the LAST can that the salesperson pulled out! that stuff works great! although i hope to be using more target coatings in the future, this stuff definitely works in a pinch. thanks for everyone's advice!

Sam Shank
10-12-2007, 2:40 PM
Your experience with Polycrilic is mine. Easy to spray - right out of the can. I did a bunch of 1/4 round and base moldings with the stuff.