PDA

View Full Version : They were framed

Lee Schierer
10-01-2007, 11:50 AM
As part of the fund raiser work we did for our recent class reunion. Myy sister donated two quilt squares that we mounted and framed. The frames are red oak stained with MinWax Brazilian rosewood stain and finished with Deft semigloss clear wood finish. The frame profile is my own design and pretty easy to make.
http://mysite.verizon.net/us71na/brownquilt.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/us71na/blue quilt.jpg

Both framed squares were auctioned off.
Thanks for viewing.

Warren Clemans
10-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Very nice work--frames and quilts. Did you do anything to reinforce the mitered corners? How did you cut the profiles?

Lee Schierer
10-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Very nice work--frames and quilts. Did you do anything to reinforce the mitered corners? How did you cut the profiles?
The corners are mitered on a home made sled. They always come out perfect. They are just glued together. The profile is actually made of two pieces. Everything is made from 3/4" stock. The first piece is about 1/4" thick and rounded over on one edge. The second piece is about 1-1/2" wide and it gets the outer profile cut on the router table. The thin piece is then glued to the inside surface of the heavier stock. You offset it up from the underside with a 1/4" thick spacer. I usually glue up two pieces at the same time. Once you have your stock made, you cut the recess in the back for the picture and glass, then cut the pieces to length.

The trick to strong picture frames is having precise miters at all four corners that mate up with no gaps and having all the opposite sides exactly the same length. Use plenty of glue as end grain sucks up a lot of glue. I clamp the frames up with a four sided framing clamp that uses threaded rod for size adjsutment, so I can clamp all four corners at the same time.

Warren Clemans
10-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks--great stuff.

Jim Becker
10-01-2007, 3:39 PM
That's a great idea, Lee....and nice execution of the same!