PDA

View Full Version : Another tablesaw question

Kent E. Matthew
10-01-2007, 11:46 AM
I started a thread yesterday regarding the Delta contractor saw. I have another question. Would it be worth an extra 150 dollars to pick up the Grizzly hybrid? I have heard that the trunions are mounted the same way on the hybrid as the contractor saws. How about the Griz?

Chuck Lenz
10-01-2007, 12:13 PM
The only advantage I see in the Grizzly is maybe better dust collection, but there are ways to improve dust collection on a Contractors tablesaw for alot less than $150. The Grizzly hybrid is table mounted trunions so your not gaining anything there. You never mentioned which fence is on the Delta you were looking at. Hard to make a fair comparison without a Delta tablesaw model number. When you figured price on the Grizzly did you figure in shipping also ? Usually thats a deal breaker for me. If the drive belt or the motor ever goes bad on you chances are your not going to find them locally for the hybrid.

scott spencer
10-01-2007, 3:07 PM
Compared to most contractor saws, I'd have to say yes. The design advantages all lean toward the hybrid unless you need to remove the motor often. If the overall cost difference is only $150, I'd go for it, but add $94 if you didn't consider s/h. .

There's a smaller footprint, the full enclosure has better DC, the drive belt is shorter and has better power transfer, and in this particular case, the trunnions use a one-piece cast blade shroud to connect the front and rear trunnion brackets, which is a more elegant and reliable method than the connect rods. Also, with an internal motor you'll never accidently lift something with the motor sticking out the back, which can wreak havoc on the alignment...DAMHIKT! :eek: You may find that the G0478 has some advantage in mass too.

Greg Sznajdruk
10-01-2007, 3:10 PM
If you are looking for a Hybrid it looks like General 50-220 is a new offering. Got a flyer from local retailer and this saw is shown. Doesn't say it's a hybrid but sells locally for $999.00 CDN. Which should be about what you would pay in the US. It comes with digital blade angle display and a 2 hp motor. Also left or right tilt.

Greg

glenn bradley
10-01-2007, 3:13 PM
Not familiar with the Griz but I agree with Scott. The hybrid 'class' brings many of a cabinet saws benefits to those of us who don't require a 3 - 5 HP saw.

Maybe some Griz owners will chime in regarding the fence. If you buy a new saw and go straight into the need for a fence upgrade, you're better off to spend a little more in the first place. I am not saying the Griz fence is not good, I'm saying I don't know. I have learned how much your fence quality contributes to your satisfaction with your saw and now pay much more attention to this up front.

Ooops, never mind it looks like the G0576 and the G0478 use the same fence.

Richard Magbanua
10-02-2007, 8:39 PM
Kent,
For that price range and type of saw, there are quite a few options. As far as hybrids go, Steel City and Craftsman are very good. Both with excellent fences. I have the Craftsman Hybrid 22124 and love it. It came with a Biesemeyer commercial grade fence on sale for only $899. I know Rockler has an amazing price on a 1.5 hp Jet contractors saw on close-out for $399 plus S&H. This saw comes with cast iron wings. Good luck with your search!