PDA

View Full Version : Skunk

Jonathan Harvey
10-01-2007, 8:26 AM
Well our dog got sprayed by a skunk last Sunday. What a stink and what a mess to clean up. We've been taking him out on a leash for the last week to go pee at night just in case the skunk returned probably never left. Anyways last night we put him out for the first time in a week without a leash and sure enough he got sprayed again. I guess he got sprayed in the eyes this time because while we where getting things ready to clean him up he went out and started rolling in the driveway and tore his face all up :(

This means war. The sunk has to go.

Anyone have any tips for getting rid of a skunk?

Keel McDonald
10-01-2007, 8:46 AM
Well our dog got sprayed by a skunk last Sunday. What a stink and what a mess to clean up. We've been taking him out on a leash for the last week to go pee at night just in case the skunk returned probably never left. Anyways last night we put him out for the first time in a week without a leash and sure enough he got sprayed again. I guess he got sprayed in the eyes this time because while we where getting things ready to clean him up he went out and started rolling in the driveway and tore his face all up :(

This means war. The sunk has to go.

Anyone have any tips for getting rid of a skunk?

I recently had a problem with a skunk digging up my newly planted trees. I purchased a trap (http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/skunktrap.htm) for around $50 from my local Ace Hardware store. Worked the first night. I read somewhere that if you leave the skunk in the trap, preferably in sunlight, all day it would kill it. Sure enough, it did. very little smell. No skunk smell, just dead animal smell. No problems since. I kept the trap for future skunks.

Lee Schierer
10-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Skunks only come around for food. If your yard doesn't have food for them they aren't likely to frequent your yard. Grubs in the lawn are a favorite food for them, get rid of the grubs and they will leave. You can live trap them, throw a blanket over the trap and transport them safely. But check with your local authorities. It is illeagal here in PA to relocate skunks due to rabies concerns.

Should you or your dog be sprayed by a skunk while attempting to alleviate a problem, use the follow concoction to eliminate skunk odor: mix one quart of hydrogen peroxide with a quarter-cup of baking soda and a teaspoon of liquid soap. Apply the mixture to the sprayed area and it will neutralize the skunk's musky odor.

Jonathan Harvey
10-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Skunks only come around for food. If your yard doesn't have food for them they aren't likely to frequent your yard. Grubs in the lawn are a favorite food for them, get rid of the grubs and they will leave. You can live trap them, throw a blanket over the trap and transport them safely. But check with your local authorities. It is illeagal here in PA to relocate skunks due to rabies concerns.

Should you or your dog be sprayed by a skunk while attempting to alleviate a problem, use the follow concoction to eliminate skunk odor: mix one quart of hydrogen peroxide with a quarter-cup of baking soda and a teaspoon of liquid soap. Apply the mixture to the sprayed area and it will neutralize the skunk's musky odor.

Thats the mix I used to clean him up. He still smell but not as bad. We have grubs and I know thats why the skunk is here but I have acreage and there is no way I can get rid of all the grubs, Or should I say I'm not willing to pay to get rid of the grubs. That could be a new tool ;)

Lee Schierer
10-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Thats the mix I used to clean him up. He still smell but not as bad. We have grubs and I know thats why the skunk is here but I have acreage and there is no way I can get rid of all the grubs, Or should I say I'm not willing to pay to get rid of the grubs. That could be a new tool ;)

Buy some milky spore and spread it around on your yard. A little goes a long ways and will take care of the grubs.