PDA

View Full Version : Table saws

Steve Vedete
10-01-2007, 7:15 AM
Looking to buy a new cabinet saw. Need some help to find the best on for the money.I'am looking at the following.
1. pm 2000 3hp
2. shop fox w1677exti
3. jet 708663bk
4. Delta x5
5. Sawstop

Looking for information on what saw I should buy

Thanks

Steve Vedete

Don Bullock
10-01-2007, 7:56 AM
All of your choices are good. It all depends on your likes, dislikes, experience, budget, type of work etc.

Personally I selected the SawStop because it's a fantastic saw and the LOML wanted me to have it for the safety feature. Everyone else can tell you what they bought and why, including sliders, but it all comes back to your decision.

Rod Sheridan
10-01-2007, 8:20 AM
Hi Steve, if I were to replace my saw (General 650), my list would look like this;

1) Saw Stop, just for the active safety feature.

2) General 650, great saw, made in my home country.

Of course, your choice may be different, however in my opinion the Saw Stop is the only significant active improvement in saw safety.

The passive improvemnts such as overarm guards that allow you to keep the guard in place while performing non through sawing operations are in my opinion, the most significant passive safety improvements, along with a good riving knife.

Enjoy your new saw purchase............Regards, Rod.

Ed Peters
10-01-2007, 8:29 AM
Grizzly is providing excellent cabinet saws at reasonable pricing.

Ed

Jim Kountz
10-01-2007, 8:33 AM
From your list there the Powermatic would win my heart over first then the Delta, Jet Shop Fox and finally the SawStop.

Jim Eller
10-01-2007, 9:22 AM
I didn't see the ol' standard, PM 66 on your list.!?!?

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-01-2007, 9:27 AM
Since you have a saw stop on the list I'd suggest you look at Felder, MM, and Hammer too. Same price range as the saw stop but, lots and lots and lots more saw.

frank shic
10-01-2007, 9:44 AM
i'd go with the sawstop. i hate the idea of losing a finger accidentally even though i follow most of the safety precautions: blade guard, splitter, not using fingers as a pushstick on narrow pieces...

Jules Dominguez
10-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I upgraded from a 20+ year old Rockwell contractor'saw to a Sawstop several months ago. I won't say the Sawstop is the greatest tablesaw in the world or the best for the money because I decided I wanted the safety features and didn't research other saws. I will say, though, that the Sawstop is a great tablesaw.
However, make sure you know the total cost before you make the decision. It goes up considerably from the list price when you add Sawstop's delivery cost to the dealer, a fence, a dado cartridge, a miter gage (the one supplied with the saw has the old pita setscrew alignment feature), and the cost of delivery from the dealer to your shop. I think the mobile base was an extra also. I built my own auxiliary table, which would have been another extra.

Clint Winterhalter
10-02-2007, 8:43 PM
Steve,
I think you would be happy with just about any of them..
The SawStop has some great safety features.
They say you can't put a price on safety..but It just didn't fit my budget. I own the Shopfox w1677, I picked it up earlier this year. I was out the door for a little over $1100. The W1677 is a clone of the grizzly 1023. It gets high marks in most woodworking mags and a ton of creekers own them. You can get the 1023 thru amazon for few bucks less and if you aren't in a hurry snag free shipping. The shopfox line is what they sell thru dealers. Same basic unit with white paint..
Whats your budget like?

Clint

Dave MacArthur
10-02-2007, 11:09 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&domains=sawmillcreek.org&q=which+table+saw+buy&sitesearch=sawmillcreek.org

This will give you about 1000 threads here on SMC, but you can quickly see the ones titled "Which table saw should I buy?" "Help me choose a Table Saw" etc., and you'll be able to read a LOT of good comments folks have made, but more importantly, find specific information as fast as you can read it on all those saws above, without having to wait for replies ;)
Good luck!

Here, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&domains=sawmillcreek.org&q=which+table+saw+should+I+buy&btnG=Search&sitesearch=sawmillcreek.org
will give you 390 threads, I clicked the "search forums using google, "which table saw should I buy". I did this when researching bandsaws, and trust me... you'll enjoy the reading ;)

Jeff Raymond
10-03-2007, 8:46 AM
Had 2 unisaws in the past. Bought the X5 this time. Turns out with their aggressive pricing and free shipping it was not only the best buy, but the best saw. My preference is to stick with the Unifence, the Biesemeyer is very over-rated, but that may just be me.

Greg Sznajdruk
10-03-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm with Jeff biggest bang for the buck. Started out with Bessy fence switched to Unifence.

Greg

Mark Singer
10-03-2007, 12:05 PM
I really like my SawStop! The safety and accuracy. I have had a few other Cabinet Saws including a PM66 which is very good also.

Larry Fox
10-03-2007, 12:13 PM
I have the X5 Uni and really like it and it is a good quality saw. I have the common passive safety features on it but am contemplating the switch to the SawStop for the active safety features not to mention the fact that it seems to be a really nice saw.