PDA

View Full Version : High School kids sign on to sponsor!

Jerry Stringer
02-03-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm a school resource officer in Burleson (Tx) HIgh School where there are over 2100 kids.

I was asked to talk about the Freedom Pens to the Interact Club which is a student group offshoot of the Rotary Club. This morning they voted to join in as a sponsor!

The teacher in charge thought that they might just use some of their funds to buy some pens but the kids wanted to make a banner, some buttons, and solicit donations from the student body at large. I told them that for $2.00 they could have a pen made and get it to Iraq (considering the cost of the kits on the reduced rate this should work. If it costs any more I'll make up the difference.)

What a great group of kids! Looks like I'm gonna need some help turning pens!

So here's a challenge . . . any other high schools think that they can outdo us?

Thanks!

JDS

Ken Salisbury
02-03-2004, 1:13 PM
I'm a school resource officer in Burleson (Tx) HIgh School where there are over 2100 kids.

I was asked to talk about the Freedom Pens to the Interact Club which is a student group offshoot of the Rotary Club. This morning they voted to join in as a sponsor!

The teacher in charge thought that they might just use some of their funds to buy some pens but the kids wanted to make a banner, some buttons, and solicit donations from the student body at large. I told them that for $2.00 they could have a pen made and get it to Iraq (considering the cost of the kits on the reduced rate this should work. If it costs any more I'll make up the difference.)

What a great group of kids! Looks like I'm gonna need some help turning pens!

So here's a challenge . . . any other high schools think that they can outdo us?

Thanks!

JDS

Great !!!

The kit fund is growing - any contributions they can make to add to that fund to pay for kits is greatly appreciated. Your estimate of $2.00 is plenty good enough to supply a pen - no need to make up any difference. The more we get in the fund - the more turners we will get to make pens since they will get the kits free.

Way to go Burleson High School ! ! ! !

Keith Outten
02-03-2004, 4:45 PM
It's been a long time but I can still remember "School Spirit". Thanks to the entire student body of Burleson High School for joining our Freedom Pen Program. We are sure glad to have the help and hope that even more schools will join in and accept your challenge.

Dennis Peacock
02-03-2004, 6:08 PM
Great !!!

The kit fund is growing - any contributions they can make to add to that fund to pay for kits is greatly appreciated. Your estimate of $2.00 is plenty good enough to supply a pen - no need to make up any difference. The more we get in the fund - the more turners we will get to make pens since they will get the kits free.

Way to go Burleson High School ! ! ! !

Ken,

I'm going to see if I can get a Corporate contribution from the company I work for. It could be something that is small to them but could be GRAND for our purpose of promoting the Freedom Pen Project.

Jack Davis
02-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Look out Burleson, the Panthers of Spring Hill High School in Longview, Texas are on the prowl. I teach Manufacturing Systems here at Spring Hill High. I read an article in the WOODTURNING DESIGN magazine and was interested in this project. I went to your web site and became even more excited. I talked to my principal and he said go for it. I talked to my classes and we comitted to make 50 pens for our troops. At the present time, we have 25 ready to ship. We will turn more today. We are using walnut from a tree here in Spring Hill that came off the school campus about 25 years ago. We will continue to turn pens until the last week of school. We had an article in the last issue of our school newspaper and will have a full page in our yearbook. That is how excited our school is about this project.Thank you for doing this for our troops. I have several former students in harms way at this time. Thanks again.
Jack Davis
Technology Education Instructor
Spring Hill High School
Longview, Texas
jackdavis@springhill.esc7.net

Jeff Sudmeier
02-23-2005, 1:34 PM
These efforts are great! Not only are the kids helping out the troops, but they are getting exposed to woodworking at a young age. A double winner!

Paul Wood in NJ
04-02-2008, 10:27 PM
The Morris Knolls High School woodworking program just shipped 125 completed pens made by the students to Penn State Industries. We have 145 more kits for the project that we will finish up soon for a total of 270 pens for the troops!

Great project and the kids are really into it!
Woodworking teacher
Paul Wood
(I was not able to create the screen name of Paul Wood thus Woodside!)

Keith Outten
04-03-2008, 6:47 AM
Paul,

If your given name is taken here I might suggest that you consider Paul Wood in NJ as an alternative. Contact me via PM if you would like me to make the change.

Art Hendrix
04-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Hi Jerry,

Welcome back! It's been a while since I've read one from you. Your kids sound great! Isn't the enthusiasm of kids wonderful? And yours has been great since the beginning of the FP program.

I'll be glad to help you turn pens. Then, starting June 6th, I will be turning pens with the Hunt County Woodturners at the Hunt County Fair.

I have a notion that you owe me a pen blank. It was a dare or some contest we entered, and I won. But I never received the pen blank. What a memory I have...

Again, it's good to hear from you!

Art Hendrix

Art Hendrix
04-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Oops! I just noticed the date on Jerry's message. I should have been congratulating Paul Wood in NJ. Does Pen State ship the pens for you, Paul? That is a great way to teach your woodworking students patriotism, and helping others. Great work by you and your students!

Art

Paul Wood in NJ
09-03-2008, 4:57 PM
We purchased our kits through penn state for the project and then we ship them back to them for processing. To date, we have shipped 278!