PDA

View Full Version : Refurb Started of Delta Lathe

Jim Kountz
09-30-2007, 9:30 PM
Well I picked up the old Delta lathe today and after getting it home I started taking it apart and checking everything out. It all seems to be there and functional with the exception of one 7/16-14 hex nut. I couldnt resist running it first though so I set it up temporarily and it ran fairly smooth although it did vibrate some at the lower speeds. I inspected the motor shaft and learned that there was a good bit of play in the arbor so Im thinking that may be where the vibration coming from since the headstock seems really tight and free. I took some "before" pictures here for all to see and I will be taking alot more pics as I go along. Wish me luck!

Jim

Jim Kountz
09-30-2007, 9:42 PM
Heres a couple of handles from the tailstock after only about 10 minutes each with a scotch brite pad on the drill press. They came out real nice.

Jim Becker
09-30-2007, 9:44 PM
Ooooh....shiny!! Nice start on this project!

Matt Meiser
09-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Those look really good. I usually use a wire wheel, but those seem to have a nicer finish.

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Yea Jim looks like you got a good start. You will be turning in no time. Congrats.

Bart Leetch
10-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Yes you have a Delta Homecraft Double Duty style lathe . You should have 1 face plate that will screw on either the inside or outside of the head.

I have the regular Delta model with steel bed ways.

Take the head apart & clean the bearings & pack them with wheel bearing grease & you'll never need to oil them again. I used mine for about 2 years intermittently & then repacked the bearings even though they probably didn't need it.

Jim Kountz
10-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Yes you have a Delta Homecraft Double Duty style lathe . You should have 1 face plate that will screw on either the inside or outside of the head.

I have the regular Delta model with steel bed ways.

Hey Bart nice lathe there! Well I didnt get the face plate, and I only got the 4" tool rest, the original banjo was gone too but these are easy to come by. Besides I want to upgrade to a cam lock banjo anyway so I dont need a wrench to move the toolrest.
Mine is not a Double Duty however as they are different. Mine is a model 930 and I have a cast iron bed instead of steel. Just makes it a little heavier. Ive been in email with the good folks over at Delta and they confirmed everything for me by the serial number. They're working on a "Born On" date for me too. The headstocks and the tailstocks were the same. Does yours have the indexing feature??
I have it all in pieces now and some parts are even primed and ready for paint. The main thing I want to do while I have it down is replace those rotten Timken bearings with sealed ones requiring no oil ever at all. That will be nice!

Jim

Bart Leetch
10-01-2007, 1:18 AM
Hey Bart nice lathe there! Well I didnt get the face plate, and I only got the 4" tool rest, the original banjo was gone too but these are easy to come by. Besides I want to upgrade to a cam lock banjo anyway so I dont need a wrench to move the toolrest.
Mine is not a Double Duty however as they are different. Mine is a model 930 and I have a cast iron bed instead of steel. Just makes it a little heavier. Ive been in email with the good folks over at Delta and they confirmed everything for me by the serial number. They're working on a "Born On" date for me too. The headstocks and the tailstocks were the same. Does yours have the indexing feature??
I have it all in pieces now and some parts are even primed and ready for paint. The main thing I want to do while I have it down is replace those rotten Timken bearings with sealed ones requiring no oil ever at all. That will be nice!

Jim

Jim it is my understanding that double duty refers to the ability to turn on the inside & outside of the head. I thought yours was a DD because of the threads on the outboard end of the shaft.

Yes my lathe can index. I paid $50 for my lathe & it came with everything.

Can you tell me which model banjo you get when you get to that step.

I would like to get a 3 phase motor & a controller to to convert 220v to 3 phase to go with this lathe. I think it will do all I'll ever need or want to do. I round up the material on the band-saw fairly well before I start turning.

I will be making a new stand from a manufactured home tongue & designing it so, that I can have kick down wheels.

I'd be intersted in your sealed bearing up grade.

Jim Kountz
10-01-2007, 1:33 AM
Jim it is my understanding that double duty refers to the ability to turn on the inside & outside of the head. I thought yours was a DD because of the threads on the outboard end of the shaft.

Hey thats pretty neat...didnt know that!
I actually paid $50 for this one too, got it over at the bay site. Im also thinking about the VFD route, it sure sounds nice to have doesnt it!
I'll keep you posted on whatever I find out with this thing.

Jim Kountz
10-01-2007, 4:28 PM
Well its getting there, heres some more progress pics. Got most everything cleaned up and polished. The headstock was the worst of all. It had some kind of sticky finish all over it. I couldnt get it as clean at the tailstock and bed but it will do. More later....

Jim Kountz
10-01-2007, 9:35 PM
Well I just kept pluggin along and its all done now. The paint I used dried quick enough for me to get it back together this evening. Me and my son even did a little turning to try it out. Not bad at all but I still have a vibration that Im trying to track down, could be a number of things at this point but the motor pulley does appear to be a little wobbly. I followed Barts advice and just packed the bearings with a heavy grease for now until I can get around to finding the sealed ones to fit. Now that I got it all done I realized something. Just a minor set back. I DONT KNOW HOW TO TURN!!! LOL

Tom Sherman
10-01-2007, 9:47 PM
Jim it looks like you have come a long way in a short time. The lathe is lookin good. I would make a suggestion, remove the paint from the top of your toolrest so your tools do not drag or snag.

Jim Kountz
10-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the tip Tom, I wasnt sure about that when I painted it but it makes sense that the tool would slide easier now that you mention it. I will take care of that. I guess the next step is some sort of stand, I need to research this pretty good first though. I know it has to be steady and nice and heavy!

PS I was born in Vinton and lived there until age 10. I just went back for the first time in about 10 years this summer and had a great time at Smith Mt. Lake.

Tom Sherman
10-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Glad you had a good time at the lake Jim. I don't get out there often, next time you are in the area PM me we'll try to get together.

Brian Weick
10-02-2007, 7:14 PM
Nice job on that lathe Jim! Looks very clean and it has a "new" look to it. Now all you have to do is have some shavings on her bed, which means you'll have to enter the "Vortex" :D
Brian

Jim Kountz
10-02-2007, 7:27 PM
Thanks Brian, I did a little turning on it last night but Im really new at this so it doesnt look like much yet. I did a little turning in high school but that was over 20 years ago!! I love that old oliver you have, what an undertaking that must have been!

M Toupin
10-02-2007, 7:44 PM
Nice restore Jim! Looks like about a 1950 or so Delta Homecraft 46-230. Interestingly back then one could buy a tool in parts, the lathe, the motor the stand etc to keep the cost down. Delta even used to include plans for stands in their catalogs before about 1950. Attached is a copy of the plans for a lathe stand in the 1948 Delta Catalog. I built a stand like this for a 46-111. It's surprisingly solid and has the period look I was after.

I've also got a scan of the 46-230 section of the same catalog if your interested. It's too big to post, but if you send me a PM with your e-mail I'll send it to you. Interesting reading:). A manufacturer today would never think of providing plans for a stand, if you could even buy the tool without the stand. Boy how times change:(

Mike

Jim Kountz
10-02-2007, 9:55 PM
Thanks Mike, its was alot of fun to do. Ive been practicing on it some this evening although Im not about to post pics of that yet!! The stand is something Im going to tackle this weekend. I appreciate the link too, I have the "owners manual" for the lathe and it also showed a complete breakdown of parts and part numbers. That was really handy to have when I took it all apart the first time. Now I know the thing inside and out I just dont know how to use it yet!! LOL

Curt Fuller
10-02-2007, 10:03 PM
That's going to be so pretty when you're done that you'll want to sit it in the living room instead of the shop.

Brett Baldwin
10-03-2007, 4:26 PM
Great job on making it look like new Jim. Now your goal should be to make it look like its been used for years! ;)

Dick Strauss
10-03-2007, 6:55 PM
Jim,
You've done a nice job of bringing this old iron back to its beautiful former self! It probably looks better now than when it left the factory.

Check to see if you have a loose set screw on one of the pulley assemblies. That might explain your vibration issue. Does it vibrate with no wood mounted?

Long thin pieces of wood will vibrate pretty easily. Try turning a short 3-4" diameter piece and see if you still have the vibration. That's why you see many of us have made steady rests to cut down on vibration with thin pieces.

Make sure your tools are sharp and you aren't forcing them to cut. The tools should cut just fine with very little effort if they are sharp and presented to the wood properly.

Jim Kountz
10-03-2007, 7:02 PM
Dick, I checked all the set screws and they're good, and yes it does vibrate with or without workpiece mounted. I ordered a new pulley today, after looking at it closer my motor pulley is definitely bent a little. It wobbles. Also I think it could be partly due to the fact that I only have it clamped to a workbench. The top of which is only 3/4" melamine. You think a proper stand with a thicker top would help out?