PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Q4 Pro or Turbinaire 1245 GTHVLP unit

Greg Ladd
09-30-2007, 6:32 PM
Hello everyone,

I am considering purchasing an HVLP unit. My short term needs are spraying some ceilings and walls with latex paint. Of course, I also want to be able to use it for woodworking projects which I am sure either one will do well.

It looks as if the Turbinaire unit is more expensive but offers a variable speed controller and the bleeder/non-bleeder gun.

Do these features matter?

As always, and advice is appreciated.

Greg

Jeffrey Schronce
09-30-2007, 7:56 PM
I have the Turbinaire. I find the VS is a great feature especially if you are considering spraying a wide variety of materials.

The bleeder / non-bleeder function is very easy to switch over, though I have only done it once.

Both the Turbinair and the Fuji are highly regarded and they both go on sale frequently on Amazon. WC tends to put the Turbinaire on sale, but the initial price is a little high. I can tell ya that the needles for the Turbinaire a waaaayyy too much IMHO. Fuji is probably the same, but I was shocked at the cost of the needles for the Turbinaire.

Greg Ladd
09-30-2007, 9:35 PM
Jeffrey,

Thanks for the reply. The information about the VS was what I was interested in. Thanks.

Greg

Mike Spanbauer
09-30-2007, 9:54 PM
Both are great guns. I've not found the lack of VS on my FujiQ4 to be a limiter.

However, realize that for the application you want to do... neither will be satisfying. Neither really shoot the volume of material required to do large scale painting effectively. Don't get me wrong, the paint that both do apply will be exceptional, just slow :)

I'd roll the room myself and paint a door to satisfy the wife IF that's a requirement :)

I love my Q4, but if you've a big Air compressor, realize that all the turbine HVLP gets you is portability. Conversion guns can apply a superior finish if it's a quality unit.

Good luck.

mike

Jules Dominguez
10-01-2007, 12:25 AM
I have the Fuji Q4 and am very pleased with it. If noise is a consideration for you, the Q4 is relatively quiet.

Tim Sproul
10-01-2007, 1:42 AM
Hello everyone,

I am considering purchasing an HVLP unit. My short term needs are spraying some ceilings and walls with latex paint.

1. Is this a new construction or an existing? If existing, are you prepared for the overspray getting into other rooms? Are you planning on painting the ceiling and walls the same color (I'm assuming you need to paint ceiling and walls in same room)? It is hard not to get overspray from wall to ceiling or ceiling to wall.

2. Do you have to spray the latex? If not, would an inexpensive power roller work? If not, you can get a fairly inexpensive airless and roller attachment or spray with the airless.

3. If you are dead-set on HVLP for the latex, then I'd recommend you get a pressure pot since the pressure will help feed the thicker material through the gun. I don't have any experience with turbine units to know if these units you're considering will pressurize the pot.

Greg Ladd
10-01-2007, 7:52 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the information regarding the Fuji Q4.

I do have a large compressor but the portability is a factor. I have various ceilings that need to be repainted; a couple larger rooms that need done after a knockdown finish is applied. I will mask off and drape with plastic first.

I don't necessarily have a problem with using a roller on walls but I do want to spray the ceilings. Speed isn't the issue, finish quality is.

Jules,

Thanks. I may go with the Fuji Q4. The reviews seem favorable.

Tim,

This is not new construction. However, I may be confused as I thought one of the major benefits to HVLP was low overspray.

I was planning on masking and taping off certain areas as needed; just as if I was painting by hand with a brush and roller. I was going to paint the walls first and then mask off and drape with plastic to cover the walls when I spray the knockdown finish and then paint the ceilings.

Thanks everyone,

Greg

Tim Sproul
10-01-2007, 11:52 AM
However, I may be confused as I thought one of the major benefits to HVLP was low overspray.

Low overspray, not no overspray. The overspray dust will settle and can cause clean-up headaches in a living space. It isn't a spray room or even a shop and I'll assume you're not overly dirty with stuff and dirty laundry hanging out everywhere in your home. You might not mind the thin layer of overspray dust in a shop...but most people don't want that in their home. The other potenial problem is with the masking. To spray to an edge, you have to spray onto the masking....and when you peel the tape, you may ruin your lines, especially with latex. The pro's I've talked with cut in with a brush and then roll the rest of the surface when they're doing multiple colors on adjoining walls/ceilings. They all avoid spraying in an existing home.

You can roll and get a very smooth finish with water based latex paint. Use Floetrol, thin just a touch with water and don't over roll. Remember, if the current surface is only so-so and you paint over it, you can't expect it to turn out any better than it started. Also, don't run a fan until after you're done rolling....you want to maximize the amount of time the paint has to level. For getting good coverage and better results, a power roller, IME is a must for walls/ceilings. If you pause to refill the bucket or move a ladder or such, you're asking for less stellar results.

Greg Ladd
10-01-2007, 1:46 PM
Tim,

Thanks for the clarifications.

I will consider a roller for the walls. The largest section of ceilings that needs painting are in newly remodeled rooms in the basement. The final floor coverings are not in place so I may still consider spraying down there.

Thanks again for the suggestions and clarifications.

Greg