PDA

View Full Version : I have a Picture.....

Scott Perry
09-30-2007, 6:02 PM
I finally have a picture I would like to show, but it is a 10 meg file. How do I trim it down to size so I can post it?:confused:

rick woodward
09-30-2007, 6:13 PM
scott. I have some time right now. Email it to me and i will see if I can resize it and post for you. If I get it posted, I'll put your name on it and you can have your say about it. rcarves@hotmail.com If you want to. rick

Darren Null
09-30-2007, 6:30 PM
1) Open your image in an image editor
There's a free one here, if you don't have one to hand:
http://www.gimp.org/

2) Resize it. About 400 pixels across normally serves to get a clear picture across without being too big in filesize terms

3) Save it in a web-friendly format:
JPEG (For almost everything, especially photos...there's normally a sliding bar for the amount of compression. It depends on the program but as a general rule of thumb, under about 80% the image begins to suffer- if you need it to be smaller, reduce the image size would be my advice)
GIF (For logos and stuff with a limited number of colours in (if there's only 2 or 3 colours, you can get a smaller filesize for the same image than a JPEG); or if you want to do a mini-animation)
PNG (Lossless- if you need to get ALL of the photo across or if you want to put an object on a transparent background with a semi-transparent drop-shadow...you're not going to be using this a lot)

4) Upload your JPEG to the interweb. If you don't have hosting, this free site will store your photos and allow them to be displayed on bulletin boards like this one:
http://www.imageshack.us/
(Just go there and follow the on-screen instructions. Copy the 'direct' link to the image).

5) When you're creating your post; there's some icons above the bit you type in. Click on the yellow one with what looks like mountains and a stamp on. Paste the direct link to your image there.

Et voila.

Scott Perry
09-30-2007, 6:30 PM
Rick, I appreciate your offer but I would like to know how to do this for this one and future stuff. (It is a 10 meg file.....will hotmail let you accept files this large?):)

rick woodward
09-30-2007, 6:38 PM
well, I reckon i'm more tired than i thought. hotmail says it will take 10 meg, but maybe not. If you have an image editor follow Darrens advice. If not, try to send it if you want. He's a pretty sharp cookie. :D Hey Darren, hope your laser is still cookin for you. Fantastic you got it going again. rick

Darren Null
09-30-2007, 6:42 PM
Thanks. The laser is still working...and I've got a military-grade capacitor standing by in case this one goes *foom!* (same thing but in a metal case so more heat proof).

Hotmail does take 10 Mb, but if you attach a 10Mb image, you'll end up with more than 10Mb...the email format adds somewhere between 10-40% to filesizes of attachments usually.

Frank Corker
09-30-2007, 6:52 PM
Download XNView and then save it as another format or reduce the DPI - if the picture is to be posted on the web you will only need it to be 72dpi

http://www.xnview.com

rick woodward
09-30-2007, 7:04 PM
Thats great, Darren. Happy for you. And thanks, I learned a bit for today. Didnt know about the 10 to 40 %. Sorry scott. rick

Darren Null
09-30-2007, 7:24 PM
The 10-40% is for straight POP/SMTP email...attachments have to be MIME encoded, or something, which adds a bit on. Might not apply if both parties are using webmail like Hotmail.

Nancy Laird
09-30-2007, 8:10 PM
Scott, you can go here: http://bluefive.pair.com/free_computer_software.htm
and download PixResizer to resize your photos. It's really easy.

Nancy (82 days)

Larry Bratton
10-01-2007, 8:15 PM
Download XNView and then save it as another format or reduce the DPI - if the picture is to be posted on the web you will only need it to be 72dpi

http://www.xnview.com
Frank:
Actually the resolution (dpi) can be 0..a computer screen only cares how about how many pixels the image is. Resolution matters most in printing of images, not viewing them on screen.

Frank Corker
10-02-2007, 4:21 AM
Misuses of DPI measurement
Owing in part to its conceptual similarity with other measurements of graphical resolution, the DPI measurement is frequently misused. For instance, it is common for an image scanner's sampling resolution to be specified in terms of DPI, though a more accurate measurement would be samples per inch. The number of pixels per inch in a computer display is sometimes specified in this way as well. Usage of the DPI measurement in these cases is inaccurate and misleading, though the intended meaning is usually clear based on context.

Scott Perry
10-03-2007, 3:07 PM
Thanks everyone for their help. After I posted my second response my internet died. I haven't had a chance to fix it.....busy with my day job. Hope to have it working this weekend...(wireless router died). I will get the photo posted as soon as I get it working. Thanks again.:D

Scott Perry
10-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Ok, here it is......comments good or bad or good ;) welcomed..
This is a picture of the "Old North Bridge" in Concord, Mass.

Mike Null
10-08-2007, 6:06 AM
Never putt at a mirror.

Darren Null
10-08-2007, 10:19 AM
=8-)

Excellent picture. Nice source image. Is there banding on there, or is it the bricks showing through?

Scott Perry
10-08-2007, 2:30 PM
Ya can see how good of a putter I am....missed it everytime.

James & Zelma Litzmann
10-09-2007, 9:00 PM
Scott did you finish out the back of the mirror or leave it?

Scott Perry
10-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Darren, yes there is banding in the creek.....what would cause that?
J&Z....I painted the back of the mirror if that is what your asking.

James & Zelma Litzmann
10-10-2007, 1:31 PM
I think the picture is beautiful, if this was your first you did great! What kind of paint did you use, flat, gloss or semi gloss?

Mirrors are so hard to take a picture of, there needs to be a class just on that alone.

I would love to find some photos of scenes to do on mirrors, I never have my camera when there is a perfect shot.

If you do a search on the forum on banding, you'll find a lot of information. We went through that with banding about a year ago, some of ours was our equipment, some wasn't. We've learn that we have to balance the speed with the power or we may get banding.

Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Scott Perry
10-10-2007, 2:40 PM
Thanks, I used gloss. Your right, I took about 20 shots of this and this is the best one. I need to figure out how not to band....should I speed it up or slow it?

James & Zelma Litzmann
10-10-2007, 7:07 PM
What wattage laser do you have, what speed and power did you use? Without knowing that info, we'd have to guess and say slow down the speed a little. Seriously it could be many things and most of the answers are here on the forum. The guys and gals on here have raised us, if it wasn't for all the wonderful people here on the forum we'd still be struggling . . . more than what we are, we still consider ourselves as beginners.

Just let us know if we can help.

Scott Perry
10-10-2007, 9:51 PM
That would help, wouldn't it...lol. I have a Laser Pro 30 Explorer II. I used Photograve. I engraved it at 22 speed 100 power 250 dpi. I ran it twice to get thru the silver.

James & Zelma Litzmann
10-11-2007, 9:59 AM
Scott, all I can say is, we now have a 60 watt, and we run our mirrors at 50 speed, and 90 power. Now with that said, sometimes we do have to run them twice, it depends on the backing, if we wind up with the mirrors that have the gold under the silver, we have to run it twice. Check with you rep on your machine and talk with them about the banding. But we found if there is too much difference between the numbers on the speed and the power, we get the banding.

Good luck, and again let us know if there is anything we can help with.

Scott Perry
10-11-2007, 11:49 AM
J&Z...what kind of laser do you have?

Darren Null
10-11-2007, 1:01 PM
Darren, yes there is banding in the creek.....what would cause that?
I was kind of hoping you'd know because I'm getting the same.

James & Zelma Litzmann
10-11-2007, 6:18 PM
Same as yours but a 60 watt.