Paul Engle
09-30-2007, 5:36 PM
I got this idea from somewhere :confused: .... down to the hardware store and :

1/2 x 1/2 comp.xfip pipe 1 ea ( brass )
1/2 brass pipe cap 1 ea
1/2 x 18" black pipe threaded both ends 1 ea
extra comp sleeves 2 ea
7/8 " x 18" reinforced hose

Drilled out the stop ( used my brad point bit :( ) in the comp as it registers the pipe under normal use for this . Cut hose to fit with both fittings on. Took too short Henery Taylor 1/2 in superflute bg cut off handle, was able to resharpen, inserted in comp/handle and turned the walnut hf which is nearly done it is just under 3 " tall by 6 " dia . I used wrench to just snug the fitting so it would not vibrate loose and filled the handle with lead shot to dampen vibration ... works great cept the other gouge you see is V grooved tip to tip Serious TW and they came out :o , stuffed a
cotton ball and works ok. I'm thinking of producing these in 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4 if intrested PM me. Mike got me started on this with the handle thing and after making a couple of wood handles I still could not put seperate grinds on new bg and I had taken on xtra work to buy collet handle , ah not so much anymore. I saved 79.95 plus frt and didn't need a machinist to make it ... wait , I are one....:eek:
and if the comp breaks they are less than a gallon of gas.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-30-2007, 6:44 PM
Wow Paul, great job I realy like that idea. Those long heavy handles are a dream and no fear of them breaking. :)

Rich Souchek
09-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Paul,
That looks real good from here. Relatively simple also.
The biggest problem I have with it is I love wooden handles, and this is just too practical.
Rich S.

Paul Engle
10-01-2007, 9:39 AM
Rich,
I thought of that and came up with stave construction around the black pipe using epoxy, beats trying to drill thru an 3/4 x 18 in hole. Using a router and a cove bit to get the radius close if not perfect would not be so much I think and one would have a pretty nice wooden collet handle. I'm going to use Stainless Steel on the next one as it would be stronger, I did reef on it pretty good and caught a catch but the gouge it self just turned 20 degress in the comp and let the catch go. very safe , no big hole , no real damage on the hf. kinda like a friction release or shear pin.

TYLER WOOD
10-01-2007, 1:31 PM
nice idea. I have a few tools I am wanting to rehandle (hf hs set). Will have to consider this when deciding what to do. Thanks!!!

Chris Fierro
10-01-2007, 7:01 PM
You could mill out two pieces of wood stock to accept the pipe. Even better would be to get a nice blank, resaw it in half, mill it for the pipe, glue up the pipe / wood casing, turn between centers as normal. If you were careful you could pretty much kill the glue line.

Nice work. I am going to bookmark this thread for when I go to re-handle.

Rich Souchek
10-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Paul,
This worked because the tool was made out of round bar and the compression nut works for round objects.
Got any ideas along these lines for tools made out of flat bar, like the HF tools (parting, skews, spindle gouges?
Rich S.

Paul Engle
10-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Yea, one could use the same fitting, large enuf for the sq stock to run thru ( square peg - round hole ) then take out the compression ferrel and insert tiny wedges on the 4 sides , should tighten up against the shoulder ok when screwing down the compression nut, like claw hammer wedges use for new handles , they come in various sizes , just have to find a comp fitting that is say 3/4 x 1 in pipe, or maybe a bulkhead male fitting instead of female pipe and thread the ID of a pipe to attach or even mayb thread it into a stick and put collar around the threaded part of the stick , no adjustment that way tho....may just rip out, too chancy .. forget this one or may work with smaller dia sq stock ... less pressure. Like a bedan tool or parting tool/detail tool.There is a web sit in plumbing mfgr parts that lists these comp/pipe and I think they go up to 7/8 in , I'll see if I can find it again...yep and there maybe some others out there that make bigger, (like a router collet up to 3/4 in dia shaft ).
http://www.fittingsandadapters.com/femcon.html
this site will give you Idea what the industry has avaiable mostly , good plumbing supply will have the sizes , hardware store mostly not..
take the 266x14 at the bottom of the page is 7/8 comp x 3/4 pipe. thats pretty good size , remember we are tallking ID's here so the comp will take only 7/8 od piece of steel , if 3/4 x 3/4 square stock is 7/8 from point to point ( corner to opposite corner) It should fit perfect but will it slide into the 3/4 id pipe ???? if not , now get reduce to go to larger pipe? maybe not ,as is still too small where it exits the fitting , get larger comp but now the comp side too big and won't compress ... hmmm get the demensions of the sq stock and go look,you may have to slightly round over the edges to make the size you need. or look for a custome fittings or have machine shop make up one say braze the right size comp to a 1 in pipe ( cut off the threaded part of the pipe and braze direct to pipe type of thing) no longer cheap tho...:o