PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Feed Spray Gun?

Carroll Courtney
09-30-2007, 4:57 PM
SMC,I'm in need of this type of spray gun.Looking at Porter Cable's PSH-1 on the net and was wondering if this is a decent gun to spray metal objects such as old machiney and parts.The paint I will be using is Alkyd paint that is thin w/xylene,(Industrial Paint from S&W).I don't know what size canister is on these guns,but I'm thinking maybe about 20ozs.Also,I notice that different size tips are available,what size should I look for?I think that a 1.7 comes with this gun.I do have other sprayers,but they are the 2qt type and I think that in this application clean up would be eaiser.I have never used a gravity feed before,so this will be my first purchase.Not looking to paint a BMW,but I do want something that is in the middle or alittle above far as quality.Maybe it would be easier to say 75.00- 125.00 range.I do have a compressor that puts out 16 cfm's.But in the past to help keep from pushing the cfm limits I have always thin the paint to make it flow alittle better.Thanks again for any advise,brands,tip sizes etc. Carroll

Roger Newby
09-30-2007, 5:31 PM
I just recently got a small top feed gun, 4 oz. It is a lot handier for shooting a finish, IMHO. And clean up is much easier.
Roger

Matt Meiser
09-30-2007, 8:58 PM
I've sprayed a couple gallons of Rust-O-Leum and similar oil-based paints with great success. I use the stock tip and thin 15% as recommended in the instructions. It is unbelievable how little overspray there is with the HVLP gun. I had previously used an OLD non-HVLP gun for spraying a car and thought this gun wasn't working right because so little went into the air.

nic obie
10-01-2007, 2:15 PM
Before you buy the PC spray gun take a look at this one for $78;

http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Astro/Astro%20Pneumatic%20-%20QUL105.html

I use a $450 Walcom and have used my friends Astro. My Walcom might be a bit better but not by very much. Certainly not by $375.

The 1.5 tip might be better for what you are going to use it for but n/n sets for the Astros are so cheap you might just as well get the 1.3 and 1.7 and see what works best for you.