PDA

View Full Version : Rigid Planer Help

Trent Flemming
09-30-2007, 4:39 PM
Hello Creekers,

I just bought a new Ridid 13" planer and I'm a bit disappointed. Maybe my expectations were to high, so let me know what you think. Plus this is my first time to use a planer.

1. If I try to shave more than 1/32 off of Red Oak the planer head raises.
2. If I hold the adjusting knob in place to keep the planer head from rasing it bogs down and burns the wood.
3. I have to make about 5 passes to remove 1/8.
4. This thing is LOUD!

The Red Oak is 1x6 1" thickness

Thanks
Trent

Chuck Wintle
09-30-2007, 4:48 PM
Are the blades installed backwards? It sounds like a problem with the blades somewhere. :)

John Durscher
09-30-2007, 5:02 PM
I used to have one of these a while back, I don't think the basic design has changed so I'll chime in. To prevent the planer head from rising, make sure to use the lock, it is the little red triangle near the adjustment wheel.

I usually only took 1/4 turn of the adjustment wheel per pass time with that planer, I think that equates to 1/64". Much more than that and it wasn't happy and ended up with more than a little snipe.

If the thing is bogging down in the middle of a board, it might be because the board that you are planing is of uneven thickness. What I usually do is set the planer so that it just barely grabs the wood for the first pass, just in case it is thicker in the middle or on one end than the other.

Loud, yes - every planer that I have ever used is loud - the little ones seem to make just as much noise as the big ones. I always wear hearing protection when that thing is running.

Hopefully this is helpful.

John

Scott Rollins
09-30-2007, 6:01 PM
I have the Ridgid planer as well. I usually take about 1/2 turn between passes. I can plane the full 13" width without an issue in Red oak. The finish is silky smooth also.
The first thing I would check is the lock mechanism. Then I would check the knives. If you have three knives then you have the new planer without a locking mechanism--can't help you there.
If all else fails the ridgid tools come with a lifetime warrantee and a 90 day return policy.

One other thing...did you use the jointer first the straighten the board? The planer and the jointer work together. Finewoodworking has a website with very good information on the fundamentals of planer set-up and use

Dan Drager
09-30-2007, 7:24 PM
Hi Trent.

That is really too bad you're having such issues. I have a 4 year old Ridgid and I love it. I would make sure the blades are installed correctly and consistantly. Use the lock if your model has one. Lastly, check your outfeed table to make sure it is not higher than the actual planer table. If those things don't work, return it. You may have a lemon, but I wouldn't let it sour me on Ridgid altogether. They make good tools.

Dan

keith ouellette
09-30-2007, 7:39 PM
If you check the previous things mentioned and it still doesn't work take it back asap. I have heard good things about dewalt13" planners.

Tim Morton
09-30-2007, 7:49 PM
When the blades are sharp, and you are feeding the material correctly it is not "that" loud. Mine gets loud when its time to change or rotate the blades. 1/32 is not a bad place to be when planing hardwood.

Art Mann
09-30-2007, 8:29 PM
You are trying to remove too much material at one time. The machine will do best if you set it to remove 1/64 to 1/32 inch at a time. All the lunchbox planers are the same way. They all have 15A universal motors that just don't have the power of the cast iron planers with 2 or 3 HP induction run motors. Universal motors are typically pretty loud compared to induction run motors.

Bill Huber
09-30-2007, 9:45 PM
I agree with all that was said above.
I have the that planer and really love it.
I will say I never take off more then 1/32 on most wood.

I plan my cutting boards on it and they are 12 inches wide and are made of purpleheart and maple plus I plan the end grain with no problem.