PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I found when cleaning...

Stephen Beckham
09-30-2007, 4:13 PM
Well - cleaning out the basement to setup my heat press and epson printer, I found this :eek: ...

I know the dangers and I'm not asking for advise - as you'll note - the cabinet is already outside the house and will be moved down to the old tobacco barn when I get a chance...

I wanted to let everyone know to keep an eye out for this - I had no symptoms or suspicions of mold in the basement. That cabinet had only been there for just over a year. Yea, it's not sealed and painted - yea, it's sitting on concrete floor and no, the concrete floor is not sealed or finished in any way. The interesting thing is that the wall, floor and carpet this was in and around - do not show signs of wetness or mold.

Bottom line - just because you don't see it... Doesn't mean it's not there!

Steve

Jim Dunn
09-30-2007, 4:23 PM
I thought you found some money or something of value, sheeesh. Maybe a box of old Playboys even. What a let down. :(:D

Clean with bleach and it should kill all the mold, hopefully.

Tom Veatch
09-30-2007, 4:46 PM
... it's sitting on concrete floor and no, the concrete floor is not sealed or finished in any way. The interesting thing is that the wall, floor and carpet this was in and around - do not show signs of wetness or mold.

Looks like your cabinet was sitting directly on the slab and trapped moisture transmitted through the slab allowing the mold to grow.

Moisture vapor transmission through on or below grade concrete slabs is practically a given and is one of the most common causes of adhesive failure in finished floors applied directly to a concrete slab. DAGS 'concrete slab moisture' and you may find some ways to deal with it.