PDA

View Full Version : Wearable Dust Protection

Neal Addy
09-30-2007, 1:05 PM
Ben's post got me to wondering what folks here use as face masks. Thought it would be fun to do a quick poll.

Too bad the forum only let's you have 10 choices. I had to lump too many categories together. For the "Other" categories, please include a post stating what brand/model you use.

Please participate!

Jason Christenson
09-30-2007, 2:24 PM
I use a respirator made by AO Safety. I paid about 15 dollars for it on Amazon. It has one replaceable filter and it works great as far as I am concerned. I'm posting this from my phone but I'll attach a picture tomorrow when I get to work.

Jason

Neal Addy
09-30-2007, 2:46 PM
Thanks Jason. AO is one of those I would have liked to include on the list since it is fairly widely used. Maybe I could have used the MSA slot for it but I wasn't sure which would be the most popular.

Jim Becker
09-30-2007, 2:54 PM
I would have liked to be able to choose more than one...I clicked on the Trend Airshield, but I also use a Dust-B-Gone on occasion when a full face mask is inconvenient.

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2007, 3:24 PM
I am like Jim I wear more than one depending on the situation but the two I have been wearing for over a year now is the Trend and Dust-Be-Gone mask. With the dust be gone when it is hot you can soak it with cold water and it is kinda of like A/C breathing cool air.

Neal Addy
09-30-2007, 3:39 PM
I thought about multi-choice but I'd rather have a one-for-one count in this particular survey.

Just to keep things simple... if you have two or more masks, which do you wear most often and would recommend to someone who's in the market for their first?

Bart Leetch
09-30-2007, 3:42 PM
I wear a Dust-B-Gone because it is the only one I've found that works good with a beard.

Jason Christenson
10-01-2007, 9:34 AM
Here it is.

Neal Addy
10-01-2007, 5:49 PM
Thanks to all who have voted. Come on, all lurkers! Now's a good time to come out of the wings!

Gotta admit I'm a bit surprised there are not more Tritons out there. I figured they would be even with the Trend.

Roger Bell
10-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I use dust collection (2 hp cyclone) with a six inch hose on the shortest run from the collector when working anything as risky as walnut. That collects most of the fine dust at the source. For exotics, I supplement that with the dust-b-gone....at least for now.

I also shower, including hair, and change clothes and wash the smock after turning known irritants, including most exotics. Not hard for the weekend turner to accomplish.

Eventually, I will move up to an air powered head unit when the budget allows.

Bill Jack
10-02-2007, 2:42 AM
I use mainly the Dust B Gone but have disposables around the workshop and also a Trend AirAce, a half face mask, which I wear for any lengthy sessions on the woodwork machinery.
Iv'e just noticed that Trend have introduced a new Airshield which I may opt for. Retail price here is £199.
regards, BJ

Jon Lanier
10-02-2007, 3:31 AM
I can't vote. I've no idea what 'brand' mine is. This thing is old.... real old, but some filters still fit it that I find at Home Depot.

Jon McCoy
10-02-2007, 1:57 PM
Like Roger, I have 6" DC hose near the work, which appears to collect the sanding dust well. I'm finding it tricky enough to learn turning while wearing a face shield -- those whole-head respirators remind me too much of a Mark V Mod 1.

-jon-

Hank Merkle
10-02-2007, 2:28 PM
I bought the QuickFit Full Face Respirator
I was at the Klingspore store in Hickory N.C. and saw this full face mask for $99! I thought I was in heaven! I was planning on laying down the money for a trend, but when I saw this - I thought it was worth a try. It has been the best money I have spent. I used to use a shield and found that it did not last that long and without a respirator I had only solved the safety for my eyes not my lungs! I guess the drawback is that it does not have forced air inside the shield, but mine has not fogged up too bad yet. Remember - weekend warrior...

I tried to add the picture
[IMG]

Jude Kingery
10-02-2007, 2:57 PM
Neal, I too, sometimes use two different things depending on what I'm doing. Might use a 3M paper particulate mask if I'm rough turning or throwing spirals off the blank. But I always use the 3M half face respirator for any sanding or finishing work I do, pretty comfortable and traps microns and chemicals and the such. Then just replace the filters every so often. Good poll! Jude