PDA

View Full Version : Shop Layout - v2

Jim Fox
09-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Ok, did some reconfiguring. Still not sure on the router table, planer and drill press. Although the router table and the planer would be on a mobile base.

The other thing is where to place the sheet goods? Maybe move the drill press and put them along that wall?

Anywho........give me some feedback. Much Appreciated!

http://planesnsuch.com/Woodworking/shop-v2.jpg

Jim Becker
09-30-2007, 12:55 PM
I don't know that I'd do all that counter space. Some of the area it takes up could be well suited to lumber storage...as could the space over the miter saw.

Ben Gastfriend
09-30-2007, 1:00 PM
You're going to want somewhere to put all the stock once you run it through the router table. I'd put the router table closer to that counter so you have somewhere to put it without walking to the table.

Otherwise, this shop looks great!

Nancy Laird
09-30-2007, 1:23 PM
Jim, that 7'2" wall just to the right of your double-door entrance is the ideal place for your lumber storage. Bring it right in that door and put it away on racks.

As for where you'll put the milled lumber, I'd put the router table where the drill press is, move the drill press over toward that corner, and put a table or bench at the end of our outfeed table.

I don't agree with Jim about too much counter/cabinet space. Believe me, you'll find a use for all of it, eventually.

Next question, where are you going to put the lathe?:confused: :D

Nancy (82 days)

Jeffrey Makiel
09-30-2007, 3:39 PM
Jim,
Perhaps plan for a future bandsaw also. My recommendation is to have most equipment on mobile bases with plenty of 240V and 120V outlets throughout the shop.

-Jeff :)

Bart Leetch
09-30-2007, 4:05 PM
Gee I wish I had you room & your problem.

If your going to use the table-saw to rip sheet goods down
turn the table-saw & jointer around & put the sheet goods behind the saw & lose some of the counter top, it just may happen that the more places you have to pile things the more things will get piled.

Better to rip & mill from inside the shop to out side the shop because you eventually going to take the finished project out the door anyway.

Try to run all your milling in the same direction i.e. table-saw, jointer, router table, CMS, planer etc. Put your band-saw & Drill-press like you have it along a short wall or in a corner & put as many machines on mobile bases as you can, even consider putting your benches on lockable casters, or at least make the wheels so they kick down to move the bench. You know this isn't the first arraignment & it won't be the last.

Most of all have fun & enjoy it.

keith ouellette
09-30-2007, 4:08 PM
Thats about the layout i would use. I would put sheet goods at the 7'2" wall and a rolling cart or box for odd hardwood storage. With a six foot workbench and a 36" counter you will have 26" on either end of the work bench. Just enough room.

Jim Fox
09-30-2007, 5:15 PM
If your going to use the table-saw to rip sheet goods down
turn the table-saw & jointer around & put the sheet goods behind the saw & lose some of the counter top, it just may happen that the more places you have to pile things the more things will get piled.

Turn the TS around 180° where it is? Then I would hit the support pole there. I could turn it around 180° and slide it all the way to the 21'-5" wall and make it work.

You thinking of putting the jointer on the right side of the pole?

Jim Fox
09-30-2007, 6:13 PM
Ok, here is another iteration....

Judging by the heights of the tables for the Jointer, Planer and OSS......with only minor mods to the OSS and Planer Carts I could make the outfeed areas overlap on those 3 items around the permanent support pole.

The router table and drill press would over lap a bit on the rare extremes of the outfeed, but the router table would be mobile too.

Now the only thing would be what to do with the dust collector.

Personally this one is my favorite so far.

http://planesnsuch.com/Woodworking/shop-v3.jpg

Jim O'Dell
09-30-2007, 6:57 PM

This rendition probably won't be as clear as yours, but I hope it will show what I'm suggesting. Rotating the TS and outfeed table 90 degrees to the right gives you more room to do sheet goods. Jointer against the long wall by the TS, and mobile planer where it can be pulled out for use, close to the jointer. This location will give you the best length for doing longer boads. Make cabinets on that wall if desired, but have them at a height that will work with the jointer, maybe as an extended infeed ramp. Make the router table mobile also so it can be pulled out for longer boards when needed. Have the sheet goods to the right of the door when entering, and the dimensional hardwood on the opposite wall. Miter saw on the back wall or possibly next to the Drill Press if you will be cutting longer boards. Actually, This would be a better location. Assembly table by the door. You don't want to make a big cabinet and have to get it out from the rear of the shop. This makes the final product easy to get out of the shop. Is the DC mobile? Or will it be stationary? It could be left int he position your original plan shows.
Hope this at least stirs some other ideas! Jim.

Bart Leetch
09-30-2007, 7:30 PM
Ok, here is another iteration....

Judging by the heights of the tables for the Jointer, Planer and OSS......with only minor mods to the OSS and Planer Carts I could make the outfeed areas overlap on those 3 items around the permanent support pole.

The router table and drill press would over lap a bit on the rare extremes of the outfeed, but the router table would be mobile too.

Now the only thing would be what to do with the dust collector.

Personally this one is my favorite so far.

http://planesnsuch.com/Woodworking/shop-v3.jpg

Jim that looks pretty good.

I didn't realize you had a post there.

If you have an air compressor having it near a door or at least having a place to hook up a hose next to the door is real handy.

Where you had the DC is good because you can empty it real easy having it by the door.

The spindle sander will work good by a wall I don't believe it would bother your drill press & being on a mobile base wouldn't hurt.

Its to bad the jointer can't be placed like it was in the first layout, feeding in the same direction as the saw.

What software program are you using to layout your shop?

Bart Leetch
09-30-2007, 7:36 PM
Jim O'Dell

Could you please post your floor plan so we can click on it & make it bigger so we can see your ideas. Thank you.

Lou Pole
09-30-2007, 7:50 PM
Having the chop saw on the 14" wall is being a problem unless you never will need to cut over 7' (with saw in middle). Maybe put saw where "future router table" is now so to cut longer stock. Jointer too same problem...outfeed is too close to wall for long stock. Put router table on mobile. Move drill press and OSS over where saw bench was. Make an outside shed for DC.

Jim O'Dell
09-30-2007, 8:23 PM
Jim O'Dell

Could you please post your floor plan so we can click on it & make it bigger so we can see your ideas. Thank you.

I'd love to. Not sure how. I had to do the floor plan on my computer and print it out, go to LOML's computer and scan it in. Wouldn't take it as a jpeg and the size was something like 400k. It was all I could do to get it to take the image as it was. Not sure why the system didn't automatically do the click to enlarge, posted the image the same way I always do. Maybe because its a bmp and not the jpeg?
Ok, I played with it some on my computer, and I can make it happen, but I'm going to have to get a copy of it on floppy, or cd to bring to my computer to manupulate. I'll do that and post back. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
09-30-2007, 8:54 PM
Let's try this.72795 Ok, this should be much better. Jim.

Bart Leetch
09-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Jim I am used to a small shop 13'5" x 24'5" so I have learned to tuck tools on wheels into places to make more room.

Here is what I came up with to make more room in your shop. I kept in mind that you don't have everything that you'll have in your shop in the picture. Remember with wheels on everything the tool doesn't have to stay in the same place to use it if it would be more convenient to move it, even if just pulling it out a bit from the wall.

Art Mulder
10-01-2007, 8:55 AM
Let's try this.72795 Ok, this should be much better. Jim.

Jim, did you miss the fact that there is a pole in the original drawing? Looks to me like your layout has the TS right on top of the pole.

Mike Wilkins
10-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Not sure I would have all that counter space either. Wall mounted storage cabinets can free up valuable floor space, especially for mobile machinery.
Also, I would rethink the orientation of the table saw. Being able to see folks coming into the doors can prevent some nasty surprises while doing a cutting operation.
Just my nickels worth.