PDA

View Full Version : Sharp tools ... What a difference!

Rick Apt
09-30-2007, 10:58 AM
I just got the Worksharp 3000 last night and am very impressed. I am loving the ease of set-up and use. I thought I was pretty good with my grinder / sander technique but the tools are noticeably sharper.

It may be so noticeable because I am finishing some dry, roughed-out mesquite and cherry bowls but when my left hand is less "hot" I know my tools are sharp.

Pretty good price too and came with everything you need but I bought the leather disk ( which I have not played with yet) and an extra slotted disk to save paper changing time.

Rick

Brian Weick
09-30-2007, 11:18 AM
That's sweet - I just saw the video - that's really cool- Is it everything they claim? Where did you get yours from?:confused:
Brian

Jerry Allen
09-30-2007, 12:23 PM
I've been wanting to get a Worksharp, but have more time than money.
I have been sharpening on a sanding disk for months and have not used my grinder at all. My turning has improved a lot as a result. And that's with freehand sharpening. I started out using an MDF disk on the lathe, but that turned out to be too inconvenient. I then modified it to run with the motor from a high velocity fan. That was okay but the motor was getting too hot. Then I used a 9" HF drill press. That works very well.
The attached picture is an older version. I have since added Velcro for quick grit changes. In the photo I was using an 80 grit sheet to hold the 150 and 240 loop grit sheets that I nomally use, but the Velcro is way better.
I have also since started using it in the horizontal position so the wheel is vertical. It's much easier to see both edges of the tool that way. Also I have made a better rest and some other mods. I will post some new photos soon.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the Worksharp 3000 is great and I would love to have one. I'm also wondering if anyone has a WS2000 and knows if it is good too. The WS3000 looks like a better deal though because it looks like a beefier design and comes with more disks, so it probably is worth the extra cost.

Larry Marley
09-30-2007, 1:36 PM
Rick,
Thanks for posting this. I was going to ask if anyone had used this device.
What grade stone were you using on the grinder?
Are your tools staying sharp longer?
Is it easy to sharpen without creating multiple facets on the bevel?
Have you tried it on chisels or plane irons?

Larry

Rick Apt
09-30-2007, 2:45 PM
I got it at Woodcraft and it was $199 for the unit, $19 for an extra slotted plate and $29 for the leather & glass plate.

My old set-up is very similar to Jerry's even down to the Velcro and horizontal position. Between the grinder (pink A.O. wheels @ 60 & 120 grit) and the sander I was pretty happy but this little unit caught my attention.

I must admit that since last night I have spent much more time sharpening (playing around really) than I have turning so I can not say for sure if they are staying sharper longer but they seem to be longer lasting but I have not turned anything green and sloppy yet just finished off two dry bowls. If nothing else all my chisels and knives are sharp and now have uniform bevels.

No plane irons sorry.

I have always used a Sharpie to mark my gouges before grinding but am finding it very cool to watch the sanding off of material.

Larry Marley
09-30-2007, 2:51 PM
Thanks Rick

Jason Christenson
10-01-2007, 4:26 PM
How does it work for quick touch ups, like in the middle of a turning project?

Jason

Rick Apt
10-02-2007, 6:25 AM
The touch-up, while turning, is my favorite part as you can see the edge as you sand. For someone like me, with limited experience, this is a pretty big deal as it has improved my consistency.

Anything that can improve my consistency is a great thing!

Richard Magbanua
10-02-2007, 7:34 AM
Thanks for the information! So, I've been trying to decide on which sharpening setup to get for both turning and general woodworking. Do you think that the worksharp would be a good performer for both of these tasks, or would I be better off getting the grinder/wolverine setup? I suppose they're around the same price.

Rick Apt
10-02-2007, 7:47 PM
Richard - I am going to keep my Wolverine and sander setup in place as you can not beat the grinder for the quick removal of material and I use it often for mower blades and such.

I guess if I had to chose I would go with my grinder/Wolverine and sander over the Worksharp as the Wolverine set-up with the skew attachment and the vari-grind jig would be about the same price and the grinder is just so handy to have. The Worksharp has a much smaller footprint than the Wolverine if space is a concern.

Like I stated before though to see the removal of the material as you sand or touch-up your tools has made a difference for me already. I am removing less material and it is sharper for longer.

I do not think you can go wrong with either.

Richard Magbanua
10-02-2007, 8:18 PM
Thanks Rick! I'm still undecided but it's good to hear from someone who has used it for turning chisels. My first step is to actually pruchase a lathe. Maybe in a week or two, I hope.