PDA

View Full Version : Respirator/Face Shields

Ben Gastfriend
09-30-2007, 10:48 AM
I am looking for a respirator/face shield combination to filter out the large and small particles created while turning and also stop the big pieces hitting my face.

I was wondering whether anyone had any reccomendations regarding these products.

I'm looking for one that is also less expensive than the Trend one (I'm sorry but I don't want to buy a respirator/shield that costs more than my lathe- $279.99 for the respirator/shield.

Thanks.

Brian Weick
09-30-2007, 10:58 AM
I use a face shield , but I have to tell you, and I have been contemplating this for quite some time. I want to create a shield that attach's to my lathe that will swing down- for one this will keep all the particles under the shed for one, second ~ I think the vacuum system (haven't figured that out as of yet) will acquire more of the waist because it will be more contained. I don't do bowls or pens (not yet) so I can't speak for those that do these type of turnings and weather or not this would work out better as well. I just don't like the full shield over my face and have been thinking of a better system, more efficient and for safety- because the rest of your body is exposed with just a face shield.
Brian

Neal Addy
09-30-2007, 11:39 AM
3M has a full-face respirator (#6800) that I've heard good things about from other turners. Amazon lists it for around $109.

I'm a Trend user so I can't speak from experience on the 3M.

Jerry Allen
09-30-2007, 12:34 PM
That 3M respirator looks like a great piece of equipment.
Here's one for $85:
http://www.boss-safety.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1838&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc

I've been using an AO Safety face shield and a Neomask which are both okay for the price, but this looks like a better way to go.

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2007, 3:30 PM
Ben you can do better buying the Trend direct from them. I got mine for $232. It works great and is fairly light weight. I have also used a full face shield with the Dust-Be-Gone mask. They run about $30 to $40 but are the best I have seen for a mask.

Jude Kingery
09-30-2007, 3:39 PM
Hi Ben, I can't speak about the full face respirator, but I can tell you I've used the 3M particular and chemical barriar respirator with new cartridges every so often and I am VERY pleased with it. It's the half face respirator and then I have safety glasses. So you might give 3M some thought. You've gotten good feedback so far, way to go in doing your research! That's why The Creek is such a great place to visit, I sure appreciate you guys and gals. Jude

Brian Morey
09-30-2007, 6:41 PM
Link to ebay removed

full face, Ive used em at work and had good luck, should be able to take a variety of filters for particulate or vapors if your using a nasty finish.