PDA

View Full Version : Removing Stuck Blades From Delta Jointer

Keith Starosta
09-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Recently, I picked up a Delta 6" jointer that runs fine, but hasn't seen much care in recent years. I'm now finally getting around to cleaning it up for some...HOPEFULLY...heavy use. At some point, the previous owner must have hit a screwhead, because all three cutters have a nice gouge taken out of them in the same spot. I was able to successfully remove one of the cutters, but am having a heck of a time with the other two. The set screws that hold the cutter bars in place are either rusted down, or were cranked on so hard that I can't get them loose. Most of the heads are now starting to round-over, so I figured I better stop before I really screw it up. I was hoping for some ideas on how I could best get these things loose without damaging the cutterhead. Any suggestions would really be appreciated!!

- Keith

Greg Crawford
09-30-2007, 10:52 AM
PB Breaker. Spray it on and wait on hour or two. Most effective penetrating oil I've come across.

Dale Lesak
09-30-2007, 12:15 PM
I second the PB, let sit then with a drift punch tap on the bolt heads. just to disturb the rust, spray again and let sit a while. gotta let the stuff soak in to do any good. next step would be to heat the cutting head a little. (Heat gun) real warm to the touch. spray again. this could get a little Smokey. want to do it outside??
hope this helps, :o

Paul Libby
09-30-2007, 12:21 PM
If you don't have a heat gun, you can use a soldering iron (applied to the head of each bolt) to heat the bolts. The heat tends to break any varnish or rust loose, and also draws the penetrating oil into the threads.

David Giles
09-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Keith, at one point I bought a used Delta jointer that had the same problem. Penetrating oils did nothing. Heating didn't work. I even custom ground some wrenches to fit in the thin slots. No joy. So if the conventional methods don't work...

First, make sure you are turning the set screws the correct way. It wasn't intuitively obvious to me. Second, I finally bought a Dremel rotary tool. Can't remember if I notched the set screw and whacked it with a chisel or if I cut off the head and used a vicegrip, but it was a 30 minute job. I probably have some spare set screws lying around if you need them.

Keith Starosta
10-01-2007, 2:36 PM
Keith, at one point I bought a used Delta jointer that had the same problem. Penetrating oils did nothing. Heating didn't work. I even custom ground some wrenches to fit in the thin slots. No joy. So if the conventional methods don't work...

First, make sure you are turning the set screws the correct way. It wasn't intuitively obvious to me. Second, I finally bought a Dremel rotary tool. Can't remember if I notched the set screw and whacked it with a chisel or if I cut off the head and used a vicegrip, but it was a 30 minute job. I probably have some spare set screws lying around if you need them.

Guys, thanks for the recommendation of PB Blaster. That stuff works as advertised, for sure! I got all but two of the screws loosened.

David, I'm probably going to have to go the route you took for those last two screws. I've done quite a number on them to this point, and will most likely have to completely replace them anyway. I appreciate the offer for the set screws. I'd be happy to pay you for them. Just let me know.

Regards,

Keith

Pete Bradley
10-01-2007, 2:46 PM
I'll second the dremel with a cutoff wheel for screws that just won't go. This is one place where OEM screws are recommended. Some have special features, and this is one of those places where there's an opportunity for something wrong to go really wrong.

Pete

Keith Starosta
10-01-2007, 2:48 PM
I'll second the dremel with a cutoff wheel for screws that just won't go. This is one place where OEM screws are recommended. Some have special features, and this is one of those places where there's an opportunity for something wrong to go really wrong.

Pete

Pete, can you elaborate a little on that statement? I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks!