PDA

View Full Version : Wooohooo, I am finally getting my new shop....

Grant Davis
09-29-2007, 9:47 PM
But I have to buy the house that it is attached to. My long time girl friend and I decided that after all of this time we should combine our assets and look for a house. After an offer last night and a counter offer today we agreed on a price with final sale is to be decided after the home inspection within the next 10 days. So, I am keeping my fingers crossed that we find nothing in the inspection that cannot be worked out with the seller.

The garage is a 2 car, double door set up and is 20X20. My girl friend has already told me that she has been scraping her windows in the winter for going on 20 years and she doesn't expect to change that now, so the garage is ALL MINE.

Brian Weick
09-29-2007, 9:57 PM
Grant,
I hope everything goes your way Grant- imagine that, the garage is all yours - you have a very understanding girlfriend Grant, that was nice of her to let you have the garage- it really was! With all this going on you won't get much sleep tonight. you'll be imagining where all the equipment is going to go, and where to put some cabinets, where to put the tools, where some new toys can go from the future --YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:D
WTG
Brian

Grant Davis
09-30-2007, 8:13 AM
Grant,
You'll be imagining where all the equipment is going to go, and where to put some cabinets, where to put the tools, where some new toys can go from the future --

Brian,
I have been doing that for the last week since we first went to look at the house.

Jeff Raymond
09-30-2007, 8:22 AM
First of all, marry the lady and make her an honest woman.

Then come back and we'll help you out. :D

keith ouellette
09-30-2007, 8:22 AM
Is the plan of the house/ garage in a way that you would be able to put your vacuum unit outside?

Mark Valsi
09-30-2007, 9:13 AM
Grant,

Good luck with your new "venture" into woodworking and "amore"

Jim Becker
09-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Congratulations.

And that's how Professor Dr. SWMBO and I started out...going into real estate debt long before tying the knot and this property had the perfect out-building for my shop, too. :) Of course, now we're married, have two kids and are doing a major home addition. It never ends... ;)

I hope the inspections work out well and you can get your shop going "soon"! :D

Bart Leetch
09-30-2007, 11:22 AM
The very first thing I look for in the garage is an electrical breaker box. Is the electrical breaker box in the garage your looking at? This will make life easier when you need to make changes in the future.

Mike Seals
09-30-2007, 2:19 PM
That's kind of how I got my shop. My wife found the house she wanted, country style home with tons of built in antiques. The house had an attached two car garage and a seperate four car brick garage with two small offices. The wife told me if I let her buy the house, she would let me have the 4 car for a shop and never, ever disturb me. 7 years in the new house and she has kept to her word.

Good luck with the new place, a woman that understands the man's need for his own cave is a rare find. Just be prepared for a lot of "can you fix this"?

Rich Souchek
09-30-2007, 3:38 PM
Grant,
Sounds good.
Another good sounding idea might be to extend the garage a bit with a car port and get your cars out of the bad weather.
The idea of marring her is also another good idea.
Rich S.

Don Bullock
09-30-2007, 5:03 PM
Wow!! Great news!!! Congratulations Grant. Yes, you do need to marry that girl.;)

We've lived in our house for more than twenty years and I finally got the garage for the "shop" last month. The LOML decided that her car just wasn't going to fit in there with all the tools I've been buying.:D

Roger Newby
09-30-2007, 5:28 PM
Good goin' I've had my shop for about 5 years now, detached, house was built in 1900 and this building was the wood shed. expanded from 14' X 16' to 28' X 34'. LOML let me trick it out over time and I'm now pretty complete. Between her and my daughter, I'm kept busy. Enjoy your work area and give that lady a kiss for me.

Ronald Thompson
09-30-2007, 6:06 PM
If you get the house, buy that woman a car cover. No more scraping.
Ron

joe greiner
10-01-2007, 8:06 AM
Congratulations, Grant.

I'd suggest you add an extra panel and lots of outlets; also heaps of overhead lighting. Install a pull-down stair to the attic if it doesn't already have one. Add insulation if needed, and paint everything white. And it's a whole lot easier to do this BEFORE you move in all your stuff; DAMHIKT.

Joe