PDA

View Full Version : Oh My.....

Randal Stevenson
09-29-2007, 8:31 PM
I posted about a block plane a while back and the general concensus was it was a Stanley. (non branded with a Wards master blade).

Boy was that blade dull (still is really). I picked up a Hock today at our Woodcrafts bag sale (thinking I shouldn't be doing that), and now I want to shave some finished stuff.

Between that, and the LN 40 1/2 I picked up this summer, I am going to have a few nights flattening and sharpening this winter, I got a long way to go.

Wow, what a difference.

Thanks again

(today local Craigslist had two different plane bargains. One included a Bedrock (604 I think, for $25). Now I can see why they are gone in ten minutes.

Bill Houghton
09-30-2007, 1:39 PM
My Wards Master No. 4 blade is fantastic - sharpens easily, stays sharp for a long time. Sounds like yours may have gotten past the factory QC elves, or maybe quality varied over the years.

Randal Stevenson
10-01-2007, 10:18 AM
My Wards Master No. 4 blade is fantastic - sharpens easily, stays sharp for a long time. Sounds like yours may have gotten past the factory QC elves, or maybe quality varied over the years.

I think it's more the lack of practice sharpening. Self taught, and unlearning bad habits, plus the blade had a good size chip in it.

Now I will try to sharpen it, since I do have something to compare it too.