PDA

View Full Version : Shop Layout Help

Jim Fox
09-29-2007, 6:07 PM
Finally getting around to organizing the shop at my new house (not just built - old childhood home).

Below is the shop area I have. Let me know what you think. I don't necessarily need any of this area for finishing. I do have a spare bedroom (good size) near by that I could gut (it needs gutting) to make into a finishing room for now. Only thing I haven't figured out is wood storage......unless I went along the right wall above the tools.

The door to the room is not set in stone either. It was just place there when the home was built to close off the exiting shop area. It could move 20" to the left, or 33" to the right.

My next step is to move things to one side, then paint the floors, heck maybe the walls to brighten things up. Plus my electrician buddy needs to come in an work his magic too.

http://planesnsuch.com/Woodworking/shop.jpg

Dennis Ford
09-29-2007, 7:33 PM
You should consider having your electrician buddy run power to the table saw area under the floor if it is not concrete, this would eliminate having a cord to trip over.

keith ouellette
09-29-2007, 7:45 PM
I wood think twice about finishing in the bedroom. I have done finishing in the garage and found fumes in the house. AC was the culprit. It pulled the fumes in through the air return some how. Air will move from the bedroom to the rest of the house.

keith ouellette
09-29-2007, 7:54 PM
one other thing. On the wall where you have the jointer it measures 21.5 ft..
If you calculate thr machines and space in between them it is going to be a little tight. If they are moble it wont be a problem

Greg Crawford
09-29-2007, 8:02 PM
I agree with Keith. You want plenty of infeed and outfeed room for a jointer and planer. Also consider how many full 4 X 8 sheets you'll be putting through the TS and make sure you have the infeed space if you'll be doing those. Also don't forget that your miter saw will be cutting long boards to length. Think about how long your longest board will be and how much room you need on both sides of the blade.

Jim Fox
09-29-2007, 8:04 PM
Jointer and Planer are mobile. I just don't think I can swing the TS anywhere else and have enough room to run sheet materials.

keith ouellette
09-29-2007, 8:10 PM
My shop is 24 x 18 and I quickly discovered everything needed to be on wheels. Even the work bench and table saw. You can do a lot in a small shop but you have to be versital. also You need to plan on where to put sheet goods. I did not even think about that till the problem came up.

Jim Becker
09-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Suggest you move your jointer farther toward the middle of the wall it's on and be sure your planer is on a mobile base. Either of these tools could also go just the other side of that pole next to the table extension of your saw and share a dust collection drop with the table saw. It's important to remember not just the size of the tools, but also the infeed/outfeed needs of them.

Randy Denby
09-30-2007, 12:25 AM
I agree with Jim....I'd put the jointer and planer parallel with the table saw by the pole next to the TS....Save that wall space for sumthin else

Don Bullock
09-30-2007, 9:48 AM
I suggest placing your miter saw/mortiser station on the long wall where the planer and jointer are and wood storage above those. I've seen several shops that have the wood rack above the miter saw and it seems to be a good set up. I also agree that the jointer and planer don't have to take up wall space.