PDA

View Full Version : First Tall Clock

Greg Crawford
09-29-2007, 7:28 AM
This is my first project I've posted here. I started this beast in January, going from the "plans" for the Princess Patricia granddaughter clock from Murray Clock. It's not the kit, it's all hand selected cherry and all machined in my shop, including all the molding. It has a Hermle weight driven movement with Westminster chimes, and a functioning moon dial. The finish is golden brown dye followed by two coats of garnet shellac, then rubbed with dark wax on 0000 synthetic steel wool. I stopped at two coats of shellac since it was getting pretty dark.

Not only is this my first tall clock, it's my first clock ever. What a learning experience! There is a whole list of things I'd do differently on the next one, plus I now have over a dozen templates, so the next one should go much faster.

For those of you familiar with clocks, you'll notice a few design variances from the "norm". These were from a point of necessity or aesthetics. All in all, I'm fairly pleased with the result. All comments and suggestions are desired, as I still have a lot to learn.

scott spencer
09-29-2007, 8:02 AM
You did an outstanding job with that clock Greg! It's a beautiful heirloom project...well done!

Raymond Fries
09-29-2007, 8:43 AM
Very nice looking clock and I am sure all of the hours were worth it. I love the cherry and the finish.

Eddie Watkins
09-29-2007, 8:47 AM
Greg, That's beautiful workmanship and clock.

Eddie

Dan Strieter
09-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Very nice job Greg.

I've got the Murry Clock plans for the Aspen Grandfather clock that I'll get started on one of these months. Have the quarter sawn white oak for it waiting out in the shed. I've built a couple of the Windsor wall clocks that have turned out real nice. These too, had a few design modifications along the way. I figure you have to have those or else you're just making a copy of something that somebody else has already built.

I like the way you attached the glass. I didn't have a very good table saw when I made my clocks, which made it difficult to make the filler strips for holding the glass in place.

Carl Eyman
09-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Real fine job, Greg. Tall clocks aren't for the faint of heart or light of pocketbook. But they are very rewarding when finished.

Mike Seals
09-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Nice looking work, looks like I just found my next project.

Bruce Page
09-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Beautiful tall clock Greg. I'd love to see another pic of it in a year or two as the cherry ages.

Jim Becker
09-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Quite a project, Greg! Beautiful work.

gary Zimmel
09-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Greg

Great job , you should be proud...

Keith Christopher
09-29-2007, 1:31 PM
outstanding ! great job !

Ralph Dobbertin
09-29-2007, 1:48 PM
sweet work There is noting like swinging the pendulum and matching the accuracy of the clock to the accuracy of the work...well done.

Jeffrey Makiel
09-29-2007, 2:13 PM
Greg...you do nice work. The curved top molding looks challenging. This piece, without doubt, will be an heirloom.

Well done...Jeff :)

Greg Crawford
09-29-2007, 5:46 PM
Mike,

If you're going to use the Murray Clock plans, you're in for a shock. They are really photo copies of their assembly instructions for the kit. Then, they toss in a cut list (real useful for curved pieces!) and a few profiles of some of the pieces. There are no dimensions for the positioning of the movement mount, chime mount, overall dimensions, etc. The dial also doesn't fit the movement unless it's modified, and then the mounting posts are crooked (I called them on this, and they said all of them are that way). I had to mount the dial to the dial mounting board directly, which worked but is rather cobbled together. The radius for the dial, dial board, dial door, glass, etc. don't match. The hood is also too tall for the dimension of the dial board, so I had to re-make that or there would have been a gap above the dial when the door was open. Many problems with the hardware from Murray as well, and the shipping was some of the slowest I've experienced. I'll be glad to share all the notes I made if you PM me.

Greg Crawford
09-29-2007, 5:48 PM
Wow. I've seen some of the work posted here, and to get these compliments from people with that much talent means a great deal to me. Thanks.

Greg

Jerry White
09-29-2007, 6:01 PM
Man, Greg, you did good! I know you will enjoy this clock for many years.

Jerry

Ron Jones near Indy
09-29-2007, 6:07 PM
Outstanding work Greg! You met the challenge and have an outstanding clock to show for your efforts.

Greg Crawford
09-29-2007, 8:07 PM
I wish I could keep it and enjoy it. It's been enjoyable having it in the living room while I've been fine tuning the works. My goal, however, is to build the smaller grand daughter size clocks for sale. There seems to be a market and the big companies aren't making anything. Wouldn't that be great to be able to do something like that as your main "job"? I'll take it to the clock shop next week and see what kind of price it will bring.

Alex Elias
09-30-2007, 2:43 AM
I wish I could keep it and enjoy it. It's been enjoyable having it in the living room while I've been fine tuning the works. My goal, however, is to build the smaller grand daughter size clocks for sale. There seems to be a market and the big companies aren't making anything. Wouldn't that be great to be able to do something like that as your main "job"? I'll take it to the clock shop next week and see what kind of price it will bring.

First of all congratulations on that beatiful craftmanship. I looks great. That sure is one of the projects that will test and hone your skills.
Once you take it to the Clock shop let us know the results.
Thanks for sharing

Greg Crawford
10-01-2007, 8:03 PM
Well Alex, the clock shop owner really liked the fit and finish as well as the tone. He also pointed out that my 55" tall clock out weighed a factory made full size grandfather. He said that indicated to him that my was not only solid wood through and through, but also built better.

I was hoping it would be priced in the $2-3000 range, but he said a more realistic price would be $1500, so it's there on consignment at that price. I'd get $1200 after his cut, so after materials, I'd make a whopping $400 for 9 months of work. I did other stuff in between, but figure I have about 8-10 weeks in the thing anyway. I do have over a dozen templates now, and movement part numbers and specs, so I could shop around a lot better for the next one and it'd go much faster.

He had told me the extra bells and whistles, pendulum, moon dial, weights, etc. would help boost the value, but I think I would have been better off with a less expensive spring driven movement and no moon dial. It's all a matter of testing the market I guess. Inlays, bookmatched veneers, burls, carving, etc. also boost the price, but with such a small clock, it's hard to do too much of that. Suggestions? I had fun making it, so I'll definitely make more. I also never make anything identical to another piece I've made, so I'll be changing some things anyway.

Once again, thanks for all the compliments.

Greg

Mark Hulette
10-02-2007, 9:16 AM
Greg-

Really outstanding work ~ especially for your first one!! Love the cherry.

This is a suggestion for your next one... I'd like to see the curved rail in the bonnet (that mirrors the door) reduced in width considerably. To my eye
the bonnet is a little tall for the clock face and reducing it would bring the proportions into balance. You mentioned having to tweak the plans so this shouldn't be an issue for you.

Keep up the good work and show us your next one!

Don Bullock
10-02-2007, 9:20 AM
Greg, that's a beautiful clock. It's a great display of your craftsmanship and you should be very pleased with the results.

Greg Crawford
10-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Mark, that's one thing I did change. With it closer, it didn't seem to fit the curve of the door very well, plus I thought my bookmatched grain would show better (It has a sunburst effect right below the molding, but the grain wasn't prominent enough to be a real highlight). For the next one, I'll need to experiment with the curves on those two pieces. The door also needs to be taller to better fit the full height of the dial, as well.

Thanks,

Greg

Mike Seals
10-05-2007, 8:29 AM
Mike,

If you're going to use the Murray Clock plans, you're in for a shock. They are really photo copies of their assembly instructions for the kit. Then, they toss in a cut list (real useful for curved pieces!) and a few profiles of some of the pieces. There are no dimensions for the positioning of the movement mount, chime mount, overall dimensions, etc. The dial also doesn't fit the movement unless it's modified, and then the mounting posts are crooked (I called them on this, and they said all of them are that way). I had to mount the dial to the dial mounting board directly, which worked but is rather cobbled together. The radius for the dial, dial board, dial door, glass, etc. don't match. The hood is also too tall for the dimension of the dial board, so I had to re-make that or there would have been a gap above the dial when the door was open. Many problems with the hardware from Murray as well, and the shipping was some of the slowest I've experienced. I'll be glad to share all the notes I made if you PM me.

Thanks for the tips Greg, I'm not sure which route I'll take yet, I'll have to do some research on the movements. I know an older gentleman that lived across the street from us back in the later 60's that did clock repair for many years, he gave it up a few years back but has plenty of movements. We have some very old clocks in the house dating back to the later 1800's and still working. You might say they have developed thier own personallity.

But I always wanted a nice grandfathers clock that was rather aged, just never though about building one, could get habit forming. I'm at work now, so I'll PM you this weekend.

Mike