PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning in Iraq/ Grizzly Hobby Lathe Review

dave barnhart
09-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Hey, what is this about Freedom Pens? I've never heard of it. I don't think I'll try making pens in Iraq. Anyhow...

I'm here for a year, and after 6mo I couldn't stand it anymore. So I mail ordered a Grizzly Hobby lathe (H2669) and some chisels. (I happen to be the OIC of a FOB, so I am stuck in a small compound.)

My goal is to make some gavels for the Mayor of Fallujah (Sa'ad) and the Chief Justice (Mosahim), and maybe a couple others. Right now I am awaiting my new tool rest. I'll post updates as I can.

I figured that this would be a good place to post a review:

I didn't buy the recommended drill, but, instead I am using a Dewalt 18v hammer drill. Voltage here is 220/50hz. Step down transformers work, but my Marines (even after labeling) have a tendency to stick a 110vac saws into a 220vac plug. A corded drill would be the better buy. It took 1 & 1/2 batteries to make a single drumstick from a dowel.

Overall, it is working well. The design is good for a light weight/light duty lathe.

Packaging- For US deliveries the box it's packaged in would be ok, but not for an extended journey.

The tool rest is made of aluminum. It quickly took some gouges while I rotated my skew to make beads. My advice is to get a steel tool rest made. A piece of 2"angle Iron and a 9/16-5/8" bolt will work well. (A Seabee friend is making a tool rest for me. Love them Seabees!)

The thumbscrew that holds the tool rest in place should be a larger diameter to better hold the rest in place. When I donate this to the Seabee woodshop I'll give them that task.

The face of the face plate is coated with the Grizzly Green textured paint. I would suggest removing that so you have a true surface to work on.

The chisels (G8945) are not ready out of the box. There were nicks and bad grinding technique. It is hard to sharpen the gouges with a flat stone, but they are usable.

Neal Addy
09-29-2007, 1:08 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the review but more importantly thanks for the inspiration! You guys and gals overseas make us all proud!

Keep us informed of your progress. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Robert McGowen
09-29-2007, 4:38 AM
Hard to complain about it being too hot in the shop this afternoon after reading this! Good luck with your lathe work and stay safe.

Jude Kingery
09-29-2007, 5:40 AM
Hey Dave, ditto on the replies so far, know that you're in our thoughts and great you have something to work on while there as well. Gavels are fun and also hope you get your new tool rest soonest! I had an aluminum face plate once and just had heck with it, much better match steel with steel. Goes for tool rests as well. So keep us posted and we'll keep you in our thoughts, take good care of yourself. Jude

Bob Hallowell
09-29-2007, 9:08 AM
Thank you Dave, for everything and if you have to hard of time making a gavel on that lathe let me know and I will make some for you.

Bon

Jack Riley
09-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Dave....You've got to get a picture of that lathe strapped to your pack. While I was in the Corps in Vietnam it never ceased to amaze me what Grunts would be willing to hump in the bush. Adding any weight to an already 70# load wasn't easy. It might be easier to get one of the locals to build a treadle lathe when no AC is available. We are proud of all you patriots that are willing to fight for the freedom of all Americans; even those that don't value it!

Semper Fidelis
Jack I/3/9

Kevin McPeek
09-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Thank you for serving the country!
I'm wondering if we could try a new idea for Freedom Pens. If we sent you a couple mandrel shafts w/bushings, and kits that have been tubed already you could then just turn and assemble or have the people you thought deserving turn their own.
I have sent Freedom Pens before but I always wondered where they ended up.

Pete Jordan
09-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Thank You Dave!

Gordon Seto
09-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Thank you for serving the country!
I'm wondering if we could try a new idea for Freedom Pens. If we sent you a couple mandrel shafts w/bushings, and kits that have been tubed already you could then just turn and assemble or have the people you thought deserving turn their own.

Ditto on the Thanks for the service part.

One of our club member got a sheet metal Harbor Freight lathe that was unsafe to turn bowls; we thought he could use it to turn spindles like pens. But we were wrong.
Most of the pen mandrels are fixed to the headstock side (either by MT or spindle thread). They demand fairly good tail stock alignment; otherwise the tubes would be lopsided. The tube was exposing on one side while the other side was very thick. Even though the tube was not exposing, the cap and pen won't match concentrically.
On that set up, we need a mandrel that is strictly between centers.

Gordon

Kevin McPeek
09-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Couldn't you just put the mandrel shaft in the drill chuck? That wouldn't account for mis alignment but it should be able to held that way.

dave barnhart
09-29-2007, 12:49 PM
The drill and chuck are not precision instruments. The drill has been here for a while. But if the mandrel can be held directly by the chuck... It might work as long as everything stays tight (that is hard!) Once I have a few simple items turned, I might reconsider.

Ditto on the Thanks for the service part.

One of our club member got a sheet metal Harbor Freight lathe that was unsafe to turn bowls; we thought he could use it to turn spindles like pens. But we were wrong.
Most of the pen mandrels are fixed to the headstock side (either by MT or spindle thread). They demand fairly good tail stock alignment; otherwise the tubes would be lopsided. The tube was exposing on one side while the other side was very thick. Even though the tube was not exposing, the cap and pen won't match concentrically.
On that set up, we need a mandrel that is strictly between centers.

Gordon

Gordon Seto
09-29-2007, 12:52 PM
If the pen mandrel is held on a drill chuck, this end is held with its axis fixed. A pen mandrel is relative long and thin, you will need the tail stock support to help the tail end of the mandrel to run true. It is very difficult to turn a round tube if the tail end of the mandrel is whipping.

I know I can't use a slightly bent pen mandrel.

Gordon

dave barnhart
09-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I really enjoy woodworking, and turning is a way to turn out quick projects so that is why I opted for this. Plus you should see (maybe I'll send picts) what the dry weather does to lumber:eek:! Twist, warp, cupping, and checking on each board is common.

Something I didn't mention about this lathe is that you can rotate the head stock by 90deg increments. IF the drill had the power, I could turn some fairly large dishes and bowls. The normal throw is about 3" (6"dia) along the bed.

Jon Lanier
09-29-2007, 4:59 PM
May God Bless you and all those you serve with!

Thanks for the update on your turning. One thing, you can always say you turned in Iraq. I'd imagine no one here could say that. :cool:

Tom Sherman
09-29-2007, 9:39 PM
Great job Dave, keep up the good work. Semper Fi.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-30-2007, 7:45 AM
Dave, I saw some unique make shifts in Viet Nam, but yours takes the cake. You're to be commended on taking your passion to the endth degree. We appreciate all you and all the troops do for us. The gavel idea is a great one and a gift they will long remember. You might think of posting your pic and info in the "Turning Group Members and Their Lathes" (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65230) sticky. Keep us posted on your progress please.:)

Keith Outten
09-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Hey, what is this about Freedom Pens? I've never heard of it. I don't think I'll try making pens in Iraq.

Dave,

The Freedom Pens Project was started here by a core group and has expanded across the country over the last four years. We have shipped over 73,000 custom handwriting pens to our Service members in the Middle East.

Send me a Private Message and include your APO address and the number of people in your unit and we will ship pens to you ASAP.

Thanks for your service and welcome to The Creek,

Keith

Kevin McPeek
09-30-2007, 12:29 PM
If the pen mandrel is held on a drill chuck, this end is held with its axis fixed. A pen mandrel is relative long and thin, you will need the tail stock support to help the tail end of the mandrel to run true. It is very difficult to turn a round tube if the tail end of the mandrel is whipping.

I know I can't use a slightly bent pen mandrel.

Gordon

Well sure you have to use the TS. I was just trying to point out that I think a pen could be made on it. I would think there is probably enough play in something like that to shim it into alignment. I'd say the biggest problem would be the runout of the drill.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Dave..........Thanks for what you do! It's nice to know you're a turner too! Be safe!

Jim Kountz
09-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Dave, glad you're finding something you enjoy doing while you're there in Iraq. Hope to see more in the future from you. Stay safe!!

Hank Merkle
10-02-2007, 5:15 PM
As everyone else has said - Thank you!
Most of us appreciate those who fight for our freedom - and some of us appreciate it a little more - thank you!

Is there anything you need that would make your turning time pass more easily? Maybe I have spares or something that can be sent to you as a small token of my appreciation for what you are doing?

Keep you head up and your chin down!