PDA

View Full Version : Intro from a heartland forum newbie

Dean Thomas
09-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Greetings from Mid-America!

I'm new to this forum and here primarily because of the Freedom Pen Project. Had a brief conversation with Moderator Mark and decided that this was as good as any a place for a short intro. I hate to just show up and jump into other people's conversations, although I've been known to do that. :rolleyes:

Woodworker since junior high, some 45 years. Mostly hand tools for a lot of years, but more than a few power tools in the arsenal after that long doing this stuff. I'm mostly a utilitarian woodworker, making what needs made more than things I might want to "just do", although that's changing a little bit in the last 10 years or so.

My primary joy in the shop is woodturning. Love them curls. I have two dedicated lathes, the larger being a Jet 1236. Not as large as I'd like but plenty big for what I can afford to do time and $$ wise. Many of my turning projects are also utilitarian, gifts for folks, wedding presents, things to amuse kids, and the like. I'm active in two AAW chapters in my area and enjoy helping others learn more about woodworking, especially in the area of turning.

A favorite recent accomplishment was to have formed a "small group" at my church for the express purpose of teaching young men (better read as "little boys") how to use power tools. Had 3 to 5 youngsters under 12 learning about tools and projects and how it all applies to life. A few spiritual lessons thrown in for good measure. Their projects included some scrollsawn centerpieces for a church dinner that they got to take home for their Thanksgiving tables and a turned earring stand for their moms. Did one for the church's "first lady", too. Good for the boys to see dads doing stuff that isn't church or work and having fun and still being practical and male. Total success!

I'm a teacher and exhorter at heart; my replies can get a little detailed, but I do try to be thorough and not just spout my own opinion. At least most of the time. ;)

Looking forward to being more of a part of the community.

Aaron Beaver
09-29-2007, 8:10 AM
Welcome to the Creek, always nice to see new faces.

Bill Huber
09-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Welcome to the Creek, I am somewhat new around here myself but I have found that the people here are really great.

I will have to say that of all the dump question that I have asked there has never been one of them that I was made to feel like a dummy. I have always get good answers and all the help I needed, and I need a lot of it.

I see the KCMO in your sig line.... Well that's my home town, lived there for 40 years before I came to Texas. I get back there a lot, still have family there.
I was raised in Nashua and then move to Raytown, then to Olathe, still have a sister in Raytown, great place to live, except for the winters.:D

keith ouellette
09-29-2007, 2:12 PM
I am new also. Whis I had the forthought to introduce myself but there isn't much to saw anyway. Its a great forum hat has already helped me. Welcome.