PDA

View Full Version : Tool sharpening station almost finished

Al Navas
09-28-2007, 9:52 PM
Background:

How many times have you wished you had a dedicated sharpening area / station in your shop, close to your work area?
And how many times do you wish that, if you needed to, you would be able to move it around at will, either on a temporary or permanent basis?
Or better yet, you have so many gouges, chisels, plane blades, etc., that need sharpening, and you don't want to lay down all those tools just anywhere, away from the grinder and sharpening jig(s)?This project:

I think I have finally accomplished these goals, with the completion of this project.

As many of you know, LOML is the wood turner, and needs sharp gouges and chisels, etc. During her turning episodes, she might just barely touch up an edge, or hone it. But, from to time, she also must sharpen during her wood turning, to get good results on the lathe. As a result, the sharpening station remains close to her, and to the lathe.

On my end, I have a need to keep chisels sharp, and the hand plane irons, too. For the most part, I use the Scary Sharp technique. But, to quickly get the steel edges ready for scary sharp, especially on many of the older tools laying around, I prefer to use a grinder and a suitable jig.

For the most part, this sharpening station will remain close to the lathe. But (I hope) that, if I ever have the need to use it for an extended period, say an hour or two, I can roll the entire thing closer to me :cool: .

Now to this project:

I need to spray the finish coat on the adjustable shelf, and I will finish this cabinet. Here is the concept sketch, done in eCabinet Systems software and rendered as a *.jpg:

http://images.quickblogcast.com/98838-91456/Sharpening_station_Tente_casters_TR130321.jpg

It will become a new tool sharpening station for lathe chisels and gouges, regular chisels, and hand plane blades. Notice the change in the drawer design:

http://images.quickblogcast.com/98838-91456/sharpening_1.JPG

This is the old sharpening "station": An old typing stand, modified to hold the Wolverine sharpening jig:

http://images.quickblogcast.com/98838-91456/sharpening_4_replaced_old_cart.JPG

If you find a few minutes and wish to look at (only) a few more photos, and the rest of the story, they reside at my blog.

Thanks for looking!

Rich Engelhardt
09-29-2007, 5:30 AM
Hello,
Sweet!

I'm a bit bummed though - so many of you guys have shop cabinets that put my kitchen almost to shame ;) LOL!

Al Navas
09-29-2007, 9:08 PM
Funny, Rich! :)

I used to think along similar lines. However, that changed, as many of these cabinets hold "stuff" that is much heavier than forks and knives :D. Therefore, heavy duty.

Thanks for looking!

Jim C Bradley
09-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Hi,

'Tis beautiful. However, after seeing it I am NOT going to show my shop cabinets after I make them. Mine, unfortunately, are going to be "Plain Jane."

Enjoy

Jim

Alex Elias
09-30-2007, 2:21 AM
That's one hell of a station. I like to see what the thing that you do for inside the house looks like if the garage items looks like that.
Congrats on a great project.
Alex