PDA

View Full Version : New to the Forum with RAS Question

Orlando Gonzalez
09-28-2007, 9:20 PM
Hi, been lurking for a while reading and learning from all the members. I'll be retiring in the next few years and I want to begin preparing for my favorite hobby - woodworking. I'll be acquiring equipment and either purchasing a shed or building a small "hurricane proof" workshop in the near future. I just acquired a "vintage" DeWalt MBF-225 RAS for $80. I've ordered a new relay, capacitor/condensor, roller bearings, yoke clamp, and have replaced approximately 90% of the hardware to satinless steel.

The column doesn't have rust on it, but it is very dull. What are some suggestions in cleaning and polishing it ?

I am also looking for a MB blade guard. The previous owner attached a 925 series blade guard on it. (Should I post this in the Classified section?)

Thanks

Orlando

Jim Becker
09-28-2007, 9:59 PM
Welcome to SMC, Orlando!

On the finish, you can just do the best you can to clean it up, but you can also consider stripping the machine down and doing a "real" refinish as many folks do with vintage machines. Given your climatic environment, that's sometime to seriously consider...heat and humidity are what they are. A quality finish will help to insure that you keep any rust at bay and will compliment all the SS hardware you've added for the same reason.

Orlando Gonzalez
09-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks Jim. This is a great palce for info.

I've already have taken it apart and am in the process of stripping it down to bare metal then use a Rust-Oleum red primer and Dark Machine Gray paint (I don't particluarly care for the DeWalt green).

I was just wondering what technique(s)/product(s) members who have restored "Old RAS Arn" have used to clean/polish the columns.

Again, thanks for the welcome.

Orlando

Jim Becker
09-28-2007, 10:31 PM
You might consider one of the "hammered" finishes that are available rather than simple gray paint...they look very nice on machines. Lot's of character!

keith ouellette
09-28-2007, 10:40 PM
I have an old dewalt ras I bought for $75 dolars. It is in perfect working condition. I couldn't find a model number but I think it's called the power shop and has the black and decker motor. It is very old but not as vintage as yours is. Mine has a little red brake button on the motor. It is a plastic piece you push on really hard and it rubs against the armature to stop the blade. does yours have that?

Orlando Gonzalez
09-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Keith - No, my doesn't have that feature. I checked OWWM and found a few models that have the B&D motor. They are the 5800, 7770, etc. If you go there and select the Photo Index tab and then select B&D you may be able to find yours there.

Jim - Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try some diferent paints before I settle on the scheme I going to use.

Orlando

keith ouellette
09-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Thats an interesting site. I didn't see a picture of mine but you solved part of the mystery for me. Now I know that black and decker baught dewalt some time in 1960. I am assuming the black and decker name ruined my machines reputation but I still like it. Thanks for the info.

Basil Rathbone
09-29-2007, 2:03 AM
I think you would enjoy and benefit from the dewalt radial arm forum in delphi. It's a great resource and I know it will address a lot of your questions. You have a really great RAS.

Randal Stevenson
09-29-2007, 2:27 AM
I think you would enjoy and benefit from the dewalt radial arm forum in delphi. It's a great resource and I know it will address a lot of your questions. You have a really great RAS.

THIS IS THE PLACE, ESPECIALLY for your model (slashdot mod +1). Post what your looking for (the guard) and search it's faq's. Lot's of good info there, though members do visit other forums, you will get quicker action in this specific forum.

Thats an interesting site. I didn't see a picture of mine but you solved part of the mystery for me. Now I know that black and decker baught dewalt some time in 1960. I am assuming the black and decker name ruined my machines reputation but I still like it. Thanks for the info.

When B&D bought DeWalt, they started amongst the trend to overrate the HP of their motors. They also swapped blade guard, and put on larger blades (motors amps were still the same in some cases). They also went from a seasoned solid cast head, to these others (although there are some good models). I know at least through the mid sixties are considered good. In the 70's they had what is considered the best late model one (7790) and the late models to avoid (ones with front lift handles). There is a mutant combo that is well liked to, with one type of head, and one size of yoke.