PDA

View Full Version : First Turned Piece

Tom Hamilton
09-28-2007, 8:49 PM
Greetings:

Wow, this is fun and even better it doesn't take a long time to have a finished piece.

The dust and chip mess is another story, but no pain no gain.

So, I got this little Delta LA 200 midi, bought some blanks from Rockler for the price of a pint of bait shrimp and had a lesson from master turner, and fellow Houston Creeker Rich Souchek. Rich lives in the area and invited me to visit his turning studio last Saturday.

And this is the result:

The blank is maple and the figure is just wonderful.

I had some problems with tool marks but sanding from 150 grit to 1500 fixed that. Smooth to the touch. A little BLO and Johnson's Paste Wax and Bob's your uncle!

I know, it's not that big a deal, but it sure was fun and satisfying.

Plus when I go to the Gulf Coast Woodturners meeting for the first time I can tell them I turned an aquarium for my first project:

Thanks to Rich for the training (you should see him turn, backhanded, cross handed, one handed, pretty amazing) and the Turners Forum for generating the interest to try this phase of woodworking.

Tom, in Housto, pretty exciting about this turning thing and thinking about a 3520B already.

Jason Christenson
09-28-2007, 9:18 PM
Very nice. How big is it?

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2007, 9:34 PM
Great looking piece Tom. Wood really has some stuff going on. Well done.

Kyle Laird
09-28-2007, 9:36 PM
I like it.

Jim Becker
09-28-2007, 9:52 PM
Very nice work, Tom.

Tom Hamilton
09-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

Jason, it started as a 2x8 blank and is now 7 3/4 across and 1 3/4 tall.

Or, about two dozen goldfish wide!

Tom

Neal Addy
09-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Beautiful work! An obsession is born.

Nancy Laird
09-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Beautiful piece, Tom. That maple is talking real LOUD!!!

Nancy (84 days)

Steve Schlumpf
09-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Very impressive for your first piece! Great form, beautiful wood and a great looking finish!

Welcome to the Abyss!!!

Pat Doble
09-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Very nice piece Tom. First turning and already dreaming of mustard.... You're hooked:) . Kiss all your $$$ goodbye.

Doug M Jones
09-29-2007, 6:02 AM
mmm... lessons, maybe thats what I need.

I've been at this for 6 months and have yet to make something that nice. Very pretty piece. Keep up the good work.

Paul Engle
09-29-2007, 7:06 AM
Very nice Tom, keep it up and we may have the next Travis on our hands:eek: :D

Dennis Peacock
09-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Beuatiful...absolutely beautiful. :D

Tom Sherman
09-29-2007, 9:24 PM
Awright Tom, and excellent effort, great wood work and finish.

Brian Weick
09-29-2007, 9:28 PM
Very nice work Tom- You did a great job on that, and that was your your first turning Tom - WOW:eek: that's all I can say.
Brian:)

Christopher K. Hartley
09-29-2007, 9:53 PM
Tom, this is just plain BEAUTIFUL!! Way to go my friend!:)

Tom Hamilton
09-30-2007, 3:42 PM
Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement.

It is fun and a very different kind of woodworking than flat work.

In the interest of full disclosure Bowl # 2 is in several pieces on the shop floor. A little unsupported chisel edge and BAM, big blowout! Oh, that's what they mean about riding the bevel. Naturally it was close to the end of the project, I was just going to take one more thin pass on the edge! Gotcha!

Chris, I'm looking forward to our time together next Saturday.

Tom, in Houston, headed to the shop to true up a blank for Bowl #3.

Mike Vickery
09-30-2007, 3:52 PM
Tom, that is a beauty. It is almost scary that it was your first bowl.

Brett Baldwin
09-30-2007, 4:33 PM
Great piece Tom. You were obviously paying close attention in your lesson.

That blowout is what is refered to around here as a design modification. They are frequent and often unintentional.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-30-2007, 5:07 PM
Tom......that's the finest 1st turned piece I've ever seen.....If I'm going to sell my PM3520B ....now'd be the time to do it as it's still crated!:rolleyes: Very well done sir!

Tom Hamilton
09-30-2007, 9:57 PM
Gee, Ken, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. If I leave tomorrow morning I can be on your doorstep Wed.

Just think when you come to Houston to visit Mike I'm only a half mile away. You can visit your FORMER lathe any time. I'll even leave the air conditioner on for you!

See you Wed, about lunch time, I'll bring pizza, what's your fav?

Tom, in Houston, googling a route from Houston to Lewiston

Rich Souchek
09-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Tom,
That's sure a pretty bowl or dish. You must have absorbed a few things, and then learned all sorts of stuff getting a bowl that pretty so soon.
Looks like the time spent on bowl design and details was well spent. It took me months to get a bowl rim that thin, and was scary a heck too.
I'll try to call you tomorrow.
Congratulations.
Rich S.

Glenn Hodges
10-01-2007, 8:49 AM
Tom you chose a beautiful piece of wood to make this beauty. You are off to a great start, we look forward to more pictures of your work, thanks.

Keith Christopher
10-01-2007, 9:34 AM
Tom,

You're doomed now the abyss has you ! Great piece of work !

Keith

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Outstanding effort! Made even better by the fact that it's your first try!

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
10-01-2007, 8:29 PM
Gee, Ken, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. If I leave tomorrow morning I can be on your doorstep Wed.

Just think when you come to Houston to visit Mike I'm only a half mile away. You can visit your FORMER lathe any time. I'll even leave the air conditioner on for you!

See you Wed, about lunch time, I'll bring pizza, what's your fav?

Tom, in Houston, googling a route from Houston to Lewiston

Tom,

I'm very sorry but I am tied up Wednesday. I'm on a low sodium diet and can't eat pizza. Besides with the price of gas, it'd be cheaper to go to the Cutting Edge not too far from you and just buy the lathe.:D

Jason McCrory
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Tom, I apologize to you and other readers for misusing the forum for this purpose... I am trying to get more information about what happened to Frank Wittwer, re: the announcement you posted in January 2006. I was a friend of Frank's in the late 80s. If you are willing, please contact me using the email feature on my profile. Thank you, Jason McCrory (in Austin)