PDA

View Full Version : Starrett Combo Square - Chrome?

Brian Kent
09-28-2007, 6:20 PM
I am about to toss my Empire Combination "Square" and take advantage of a Craftsmans Studio sale on a Starrett.

I have a detail question - regular 12" for $47 or Satin Chrome 12" for $56? Does the Satin Chrome actually make it more readable in less than ideal lighting?

I used my Empire combo square for a couple of years, then read about the squareness test and found out it wasn't. I pulled out all of my "90°" tools and 7 out of 9 were out of square. Only an Incra T-square ruler and one of the old Stanleys from ebay were actually 90°

At a recent garage sale I found a good Starrett Center head on a very beat-up ruler for $1. :) I trust that will fit the new ruler.

Bill Houghton
09-28-2007, 6:47 PM
If you're under 40, you'll come to appreciate it more and more as you go along, too. Definitely more readable in bright or limited light.

If the ruler is a 12", it should fit. Now, watch for a protractor head - I use the protractor head far more often than the center head, though of course that may be a matter of the work I do.

Hard to go wrong with Starrett, and I think that's a pretty decent price.

Joe Meazle
09-28-2007, 6:48 PM
I have both and my 6" in satin crome is easier on the eyes and has been more rust resisitant.

Wiley Horne
09-28-2007, 6:48 PM
Brian,

Get the satin chrome. It's worth it. I can't explain it, but yes it makes a significant difference (to me). I keep wishing Starrett would make a double square with satin chrome blade--there must be a good reason why they don't.

Wiley

Brian Kent
09-28-2007, 7:00 PM
[QUOTE=Bill Houghton;666736]If you're under 40, you'll come to appreciate it more and more as you go along, too. Definitely more readable in bright or limited light.

52, and the world is a much fuzzier place than it used to be!

David Weaver
09-28-2007, 7:01 PM
The head might fit a new rule. I have two combos - one is an old matched set, and the other is one that was put together from parts (i.e., three old parts and a new rule). The old parts do not lock up tight to the new rule, so I'm probably going to end up just selling the square, the protractor, and whatever the thing is that gets you 45 degrees that slides over the rule, and just keep the rule to have as a quality foot long rule or a short straight edge.

The old one that I have (that is old rule and old parts and matched) locks up and is superbly square and tight.

Brian Kent
09-28-2007, 7:11 PM
Since the old center head fits well on the old rule, I may just leave it as is, since I assume that the primary function is finding the center rather than measuring. It still has the measuring marks, just not as clear any more.

Ian Smith
09-28-2007, 8:27 PM
If you're under 40, you'll come to appreciate it more and more as you go along, too. Definitely more readable in bright or limited light.

I agree with Bill, and I'm not even 40 yet. :) I have satin chrome rules in my 150mm (6") and 300mm (12") Starrett Combo squares and a regular blade in my 100mm (4") Starrett double square. The satin chrome is much easier to read.

Jon Toebbe
09-28-2007, 10:09 PM
I'd have to agree -- satin is easier on the eyes. I love my Starrett combination square. My machinist friend swear by them, and everyone raves about them.

Rockler sells a 12" combo square for a bit less, and mine is dead on. I took every one they had and did the "square test" (mark a line, flip, mark another line, check for parallel) with every one they had in stock. All were good over the whole range of measurement, so I took the one that was "prettiest." It also has a satin finished blade, so now I've got two good, reliable combination squares.

That said, my 6" Starrett double-square still gets the most use in my shop -- mostly because I'm working on fairly small scale projects of late.

Jim Dunn
09-28-2007, 10:59 PM
In a word "SATIN".

Mike Henderson
09-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Another vote for the satin chrome.

And just an additional comment, I prefer the Mitutoyo over the Starrett. Not to say the Starrett isn't good, but the Mitutoyo is my favorite.

Mike

Brian Kent
10-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Mike, I read a previous post from you abou the Mitutoyo square, that you found it to be smoother. Do you have a recommendation of a vendor?

Brian Kent
10-02-2007, 5:02 PM
I just placed the order for the satin Chrome 12" Starrett:D !

Thanks for your help, everybody!

Mike Henderson
10-02-2007, 6:33 PM
Mike, I read a previous post from you abou the Mitutoyo square, that you found it to be smoother. Do you have a recommendation of a vendor?
No, I bought mine used on eBay.

Mike

Brian Kent
10-03-2007, 6:57 PM
I placed the order for the combination square at 1:45 PM yesterday from Craftsman Studio in San Diego.

It was waiting for me when I got to work in Riverside, CA at 9:00 AM. That is really fast. I only live about 100 miles from the store, but still that is very unusual.

Kudos to Craftsman Studio and Bill Kohr!