PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: Color Mapping - Corel/Adobe

Gary Gilbert
09-28-2007, 5:13 PM
Hi folks,

My system is in transit . . .I can't wait!!!!!!

I have Corel 10, Corel Designer 10, and Adobe Illustrator CS 2.
I use all 3 depending . . .

OK - color mapping. I can use that to set different power and speed settings. Cool.
But, is the order defined by the driver setup . . .like I see Red first, and so on. Will it use that order? I want to engrave one setting first, then engrave another setting next, then finally vector the items to be cut out.

Next: Sure, I'd love to have $ and buy Corel X3, but . . .I have hockey bills to pay.
So, Corel 10 I assume does the same thing.

Has anyone tried that color mapping with Adobe Illustrator? Or Corel Designer 10? (Note: Adobe doesn't have "Hairline", so I assume I can try using a width of 0.001?)

I would also like to "prioritize" the engraving within a document so the laser doesn't waste so much time moving around - that's why I'm asking about that color layer definitions, and if it goes in order in the document relative to that setup in the driver "use color mapping" order.

Epilog 25W.

THANKS!

Gary

Mike Ireland
09-28-2007, 7:46 PM
Gary,
I am not sure which system you have but ULS systems will engrave in the order of colors from the color palette. It will then cut/vector in the same order. I think Adobe CS will be fine setting vectors to 0.001" but you may have to set your page size to be a square and use the top portion only. (If your laser work area is 12" x 24" set the Adobe page size to 24" x 24" and use the top half only)

Doug Griffith
09-28-2007, 8:12 PM
Besides the order that elements cut, the direction can make a pretty big difference. For open paths in Illustrator, use the pen tool and click on the end point. Temporarilly add arrowheads to check direction. For closed paths, try this script:
http://illustrator.hilfdirselbst.ch/dokuwiki/english/scripts/javascript/wr-reversepathdirection

Doug

Gary Gilbert
09-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Mmmm - good thinking. Glad to have this wisdom added! Thanks Doug!

Kim Vellore
09-29-2007, 6:19 PM
Yes it prints in the order listed, I tried everything except that, now I can engrave first than cut.

Kim