PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Own This Saw...Waddya think of it?

Larry Anderson
09-28-2007, 5:08 PM
$1329 and free shipping from Amazon, or the left tilt model is $1420. Even though I don't need it, I've been wanting a cabinet saw for a long time. Is this one decent or should I wait for a better deal?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007KQXRW/ref=wl_it_dp/103-6725744-2903852?ie=UTF8&coliid=I32EBX7A1JS86G&colid=39A4LM9WZ5Z9O

Gary Keedwell
09-28-2007, 5:34 PM
That looks like a Unisaw to me...good deal. Mine is over 10 yers old and works great. The top is not that flat on mine, but I didn't know until I put my new straightedge on it 5 years ago. Sometimes what you don't know won't hurt you.:D
Gary K.

Justin McCurdy
09-28-2007, 5:46 PM
You may want to check to see how many of its parts (ZCI in particular) are shared with other delta saws. I know there were a few saws that amazon was selling cheap that were incredibly difficult to find aftermarket parts for. This caused the price of even those that could be found to be overly expensive.

scott spencer
09-28-2007, 6:03 PM
That looks like a Unisaw to me...good deal. Mine is over 10 yers old and works great. The top is not that flat on mine, but I didn't know until I put my new straightedge on it 5 years ago. Sometimes what you don't know won't hurt you.:D
Gary K.

Looks like a Uni to me too...and it says "Unisaw" on the front. $1329 shipped is a really good price for a true Uni.

I think the saw that Justin is referring to is a Delta 3hp "Industrial" cabinet saw that is not a Unisaw, but is also sold by Amazon.

Gary Keedwell
09-28-2007, 6:19 PM
:rolleyes: That's what I was thinking, too.:)
Gary

Larry Anderson
09-28-2007, 7:09 PM
You guys are about to push over the edge! My ~10yr old Delta contractor's saw does what I need to get done, BUT... wouldn't a Uni be nice?

Frederick Rowe
09-28-2007, 7:11 PM
As identified by earlier posts, this is the Unisaw. I have the left tilt version of this saw and am very happy with it. You'll need remember that this version only has one iron wing, which is installed on the left and a tableboard on the right. The Unifence is quite versatile; you have to use one to appreciate it advantages. For $1,400 delivered, it's a pretty good price. But be prepared, Amazon prices are like the stock market. I paid $1,200 for mine delivered, but it was only at that price for about 4 hours. Crazy.

Larry Anderson
09-28-2007, 7:17 PM
The Unifence is quite versatile; you have to use one to appreciate it advantages. But be prepared, Amazon prices are like the stock market. I paid $1,200 for mine delivered, but it was only at that price for about 4 hours. Crazy.

I know what you mean about their pricing; these two have been at the current price for some time.
I agree about the Unifence as my contractor's saw has one, and I love it.

Only one iron wing doesn't seem to be a deal breaker unless I'm missing something.

Dave Lewis
09-28-2007, 7:56 PM
I have a #36-L31X Unisaw w/ a 50" Unifence bought about 4 yrs ago at a wood show in CT for ~ $1,300 w/ a "Made in the USA" sticker and spec plate. I'm planning on getting a Shark-guard for it.

I've been very happy with it but checking Amazon - they're asking > $2,000 now. I don't think it's the same saw you're considering.

For $2,000, you may wish to look at the Sawstop or a used slider. If use choose the Unisaw or Sawstop, I'd recommend making a 5 ft. outfeed table and using a "feeder" roller stand to help feed MDF or plywood sheets thru the saw. Most of my work has been trim (for our house) and hardwood (for cabinets and stands).

Good Luck

keith ouellette
09-28-2007, 8:23 PM
I have always heard that delta uni was the saw to have but I don't think the newer ones are as good as the older ones. Not that the newer ones are bad but when I looked it over against the jet exacta I chose the jet. Woodcraft had a delta marked at $1900 and the manager offered the floor model to me for 1590. It seemed like the same saw in and out as the jet which was $1190. At $1300 the delta is great and the name is great but I don't think (again I said think) they are as good as they used to be. Some times made in America only means assembled in America.

Frederick Rowe
09-29-2007, 8:26 AM
Keith - My Unisaw has the made in USA sticker, but I suspect it was assembled in the USA. The motor is Brazilian, but no castings are marked with country of origin. I salvaged a 20 year old Unisaw last year with the intent of restoring it, but for time reasons sold it and bought new. The base of the old one seemed to be the same gauge steel, but the new one has a sloped paned inside the base to direct saw dust to the dust port. The handwheel castings seemed a bit more polished on the old Unisaw, but that could have been from use. The new Unisaw's table is only about .005 out of flat, about the same as the old one. Who knows about how long the castings were aged before milling.

Larry - I actually was pleased with option of the one iron wing because I installed a Jessem Mast-R-Slide on the left, used the iron wing on the right, then added the Unifence table insert on the right giving me a 42" cut right of blade. The Unifence front rail is extruded aluminum so you can just slide it to the right (necessary for the Mast-R-Slide) as needed - no holes to drill.

A very good saw, catch Amazon on the right day, and it's all the sweeter.

keith ouellette
09-29-2007, 2:07 PM
I remember studying the trunion and tilt mechanisms on the jet and the uni to the best of my ability. The looked to be the same (at least thats the way I remember it). So much is outsourced now you never know.