PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum press pump

Rick Levine
09-28-2007, 5:00 PM
I was given a Magnetek 115V 50/60Hz 1.6A 3000 RPM 1/25HP continuous duty ball bearing motor and was wondering if it is worth the trouble to get and modify a pump to use as a vacuum press. I don't have a lot of experience in this area but if it isn't too time consuming or complicated I might tackle it. What do you guys think?

Dixon Peer
09-28-2007, 6:41 PM
I think you might get some info on this topic from Darryl Keil at Vacuum Pressing Systems in Brunswick, Maine. Although he sells his own brand of pumps and accessories, he may be willing to advise you about your contemplated project. I bought one of his pumps (the 5 cfm model) and a couple of bags some years ago and have since called him for advice regarding some veneering work I have to do. He seems like a nice guy.

Just Google Vacuum Pressing Systems and you'll be able to get all the contact information you need.

Carroll Courtney
09-28-2007, 8:22 PM
I purchase a vaccum pump at a local Pawn Shop for 100.00 a few yrs ago and it works fine.I think that the time,money would come up to more than what you could purchase one at a Pawn shop or CL's,ebay.The pump that I have was use to pull a vaccum on a/c units.Install a pressure switch that would bring the pump on when the bag reach 10"of vac and shut off when it reach 24" vac.

Greg Funk
09-28-2007, 9:51 PM
I bought a used 1/4HP, 4.5CFM Gast 0523 pump for less than $80 last year and it was basically ready to go. I don't know how many CFM you could get with a 1/25HP motor but I would suspect it would be less than 1. I think you are probably better off watching ebay for a while and getting a pump there.

Greg

Mitchell Andrus
09-28-2007, 10:33 PM
You'll likely burn up that motor trying to pull a decent vaccum.

Rick Levine
09-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys, I think I have my answer. I'll save the motor for something else more suitable.