PDA

View Full Version : I have blanks if anyone needs some! (Julie's 1st)

Jerry Stringer
02-03-2004, 12:40 AM
I found out today that a coworker's husband just bought a small sawmill and they live about a mile away from me! :D :D

I went over to see him and ended up getting some of his "scraps" that he gave us to use for Freedom Pens. After going home and making sawdust (a LOT of sawdust, I might add!!!) here's what I ended up with:

244 mesquite pen blanks

96 aromatic cedar pen blanks

340 total!!

Al blanks are at least 3/4" x 3/4" by 5 1/8". I chunked the ones that were unusable due to cracks. There are 3 or 4 with small cracks in the stack but they are marked with a felt pen. I kept them because I thought they might still work. Use them at your own risk!

The mesquite is nothing fantastic but there are a lot that are cross or angled grain. Mostly it is just plain grain and still green (not a problem with mesquite - it can be turned and finished green).

The aromatic cedar is gorgeous! It's a bright purple and white - many with knots and swirled grain. I hope they are usable with knots - it would be a shame to skip them. The cedar is somewhat dried but after cutting them I put the stack in a sealed plastic bag to retain moisture if necessary.

If anyone needs blanks FOR THE FREEDOM PENS PROJECT there is no charge for them. I can put 29 into a Flat Rate Priority Mail envelope that ships for $3.85. If you want more I'll box them up and have to get the rate for you. All it will cost, however, is for shipping.

Like the free pen kits, it's on the honor system that these are for Freedom Pens.

Julie, I know you needed some more blanks for your kids - you get first shot at these.

Paypal would be the easiest way to pay. Send it to:

jds (at) htcomp.net (replace the (at) with @)

Thanks gang! I'm going to bed now . . . I'm a little tired!

Jerry

Julie Wright
02-03-2004, 6:17 AM
I think I'm good for now. Need to see how the kids will do and also need to regroup, and count how many blanks I have. I will also use them for a Turn-A Thon if I can sell it to WoodCraft.

Thanks
Julie

Julie Wright
02-06-2004, 3:16 PM
Hey Jerry,
Guess what? I will need some more Pen Blanks.
Woodcraft will host a Turn a thon, sat march 20th.
thanks for HELPING us out!!!