PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet saw miter - blade alignment issues

George Carion
09-28-2007, 1:52 PM
I'm having a tough time trying to dial in my PM2000. By moving the table top around I can get the blade aligned to the right miter slot pretty much dead on. However, when I change the blade height, the blade (front to rear) to miter slot parallelism goes off by about .003 (hope that makes sense). It doesn't seem to matter from which blade height the original adjustment is made. As soon as I change the height is it looses it's accuracy.

How normal is this? My old saw was incredibly INaccurate so .003 is pretty darn good.

Also, when trying to align the fence I found that the nylon sides to the Powermatic Accufence are pretty far from flat. In each location where the nylon material is fastened to the metal fence it's off by a bit. Picture waves around .01 (didn't look to carefully at this after the hours spent on the blade alignment) down the length of the fence. How accurate should this fence be? You can actually see that the end of the fence's nylon should bends inward towards the blade. This bugs me.

Thanks for the help!

Eric Bong
09-28-2007, 2:38 PM
George, I had a similar problem with my sub fences. Try loosening the bolts that hold it on. That solved my problem somewhat. In the end I made myself some new sub fences out of MDF and formica. Others have had very good luck getting powermatic to send out replacement sub fences

Bill Wyko
09-28-2007, 2:56 PM
I'm having a problem with my PM contractor saw. When I tilted it to a 45 degree angle it got stiff at 40 degrees. Then when I tilted it back my blade was away from my 0 tollerance miter sled by about 1/8th of an inch at the front and 3/16ths at the far side. PM said to contact this repair center here in Tucson but the guy that does the repairs is on vacation. This saw is only about 3 or 4 months old and it was the first time I needed to cut a 45 like this. Of course everything I need to do now is on the tablesaw. This is a real broom handle in the spokes of progress.:cool:

Bill Wyko
09-28-2007, 2:59 PM
I'm having a tough time trying to dial in my PM2000. By moving the table top around I can get the blade aligned to the right miter slot pretty much dead on. However, when I change the blade height, the blade (front to rear) to miter slot parallelism goes off by about .003 (hope that makes sense). It doesn't seem to matter from which blade height the original adjustment is made. As soon as I change the height is it looses it's accuracy.

How normal is this? My old saw was incredibly INaccurate so .003 is pretty darn good.

Also, when trying to align the fence I found that the nylon sides to the Powermatic Accufence are pretty far from flat. In each location where the nylon material is fastened to the metal fence it's off by a bit. Picture waves around .01 (didn't look to carefully at this after the hours spent on the blade alignment) down the length of the fence. How accurate should this fence be? You can actually see that the end of the fence's nylon should bends inward towards the blade. This bugs me.

Thanks for the help!
I had this problem with the nylon sides. It turned out that the screw was stripped on the back side of the nylon where the bracket is attached. You might check that.

Greg Sznajdruk
09-28-2007, 3:39 PM
George:

Have a lock at this post it may be of some help.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15546&highlight=bevel+table (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15546&highlight=bevel+table)

Greg

keith ouellette
09-28-2007, 11:04 PM
That was a great post. I book marked it so I could refer back when I go test my saw.

Jeff Raymond
09-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Please remember that wood is not a static material and moves with time. Make some joints, if they fit, glue them up and move along.