PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gas Water Heater Sounds...

Dennis Peacock
02-03-2004, 12:28 AM
OK....I admit my ignorance about gas water heaters. I have always had electric in my previous homes. This house has natural gas (no pun intended here :D ) and I had to replace the water heater last year as the old one (only 6 years old) decided it was going to see how well it could water my floor.!!

I went to Lowes and got a Whirlpool Water Heater. Each cold season I and LOML hear and inspect the WH due to its funny noise of water dripping on top of the burner in the firebox. Ya know...the sound of dripping and sizzling of water boiling on a hot surface? Is this normal? The area around the WH is dry as a bone and I can see no leak of sorts and I can't really look inside the firebox very well as it is one of those sealed Flame Guard units. I went to the Whirlpool web site and they don't even list a water heater......whazzup whidat?

Any tips or hints on this "sound" in the water heater? Is it just because the water is so cold coming in that the tank develops condensation on it and the condensation drips down on the burner?

Inquiring minds want and need to know.

Wes Bischel
02-03-2004, 1:24 AM
Dennis,

What it sounds like is as you stated - condensation - but I think it's from the metal vent for the exhaust. Since it only happens when it is cold, I suspect the exhaust gases are causing condensation on the cold metal vent and running back down onto the burner. With that said, is the venting metal? :rolleyes: And, I will hazard a guess - it runs through the wall to the outside vs. into a masonry chimney - maybe? Kinda sorta?

I think you're on the right track. But I am not sure if it is a real problem or "they all do that" kind of thing.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Wes

Eddie Severt
02-03-2004, 5:46 AM
Dennis,
I have always had a gas water heater and all of mine have made this sound. It is condensation. Also, if you hear it during a rainstorm, water is coming in through the seams in the pipe and dripping on the burner. Can't say it ever caused us any trouble, our heaters usually last over 15 years.
Eddie

Jason Roehl
02-03-2004, 6:39 AM
I'll third the motion of condensation or outside water filtration. Mine NGWH has done the same before as well. I think it really only happens when we use all the hot water, but it's been quite a while since it's made the sounds, so I can't be sure. Ours is going on 9+ years old, I think (it was here when we moved in almost 8 years ago).

Dennis Peacock
02-03-2004, 9:08 AM
Wes,

Yes it is metal....double or triple wall metal pipe going through the ceiling and out the roof.....kinda like my natural gas bill with all this cold weather.! :)

Jason and Eddie,

Both of you make perfect sense to me and I feel better now knowing that I don't have to spend MORE money and more time on fixing or replacing another "cottin'-pickin' " water heater.... :D

Thank you very much for the comforting news.

Joseph Ezerskis
02-03-2004, 2:26 PM
I got a NGWH sound for ya! Mine, about 10yrs. old, sometimes make a noise during consumption like a load of marbles is being shot thru it? Anybody else hear that?
Joe

Jason Roehl
02-03-2004, 4:31 PM
I got a NGWH sound for ya! Mine, about 10yrs. old, sometimes make a noise during consumption like a load of marbles is being shot thru it? Anybody else hear that?
Joe

Everyday, my friend, everyday. My best guess is that it is cold, incoming water hitting the previously heated metal tank, and causing rapid expansion/contraction movements.

Von Bickley
02-03-2004, 9:17 PM
Dennis,
Can't help with the gas water heater.... What did you end up doing with your septic tank drain field?

Boyd Gathwright
02-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi Dennis,

Since your water heater has only lasted SIX years, I think, I would go to Lowe’s and buy a water testing kit and test your water. You may need a water softener for HARD water and if you do I would recommend a WATER BOSS. I have some experience with these and some other units. If you find that you do need a water softener, the WATER BOSS Softener also has a built-in twenty-micron filter. This means when it regenerates itself it automatically cleans the filter and you don’t have any external filters to change. Also, this particular unit is, I think, the most efficient and most economical unit you can buy and it’s not all that expensive to begin with. Just this past weekend I was in Lowe’s and happened to see this particular unit on sale (most likely a new model is on the way) for about one hundred dollars less than the regular price. I to am seriously thinking about getting one of these units while they’re on sale, you can’t beat it. This company has quite a history behind them and if you do test your water and find that you do need a softener, I don’t think you can do any better.

Hope this helps

Boyd ;)

OK....I admit my ignorance about gas water heaters. I have always had electric in my previous homes. This house has natural gas (no pun intended here :D ) and I had to replace the water heater last year as the old one (only 6 years old) decided it was going to see how well it could water my floor.!!

I went to Lowes and got a Whirlpool Water Heater. Each cold season I and LOML hear and inspect the WH due to its funny noise of water dripping on top of the burner in the firebox. Ya know...the sound of dripping and sizzling of water boiling on a hot surface? Is this normal? The area around the WH is dry as a bone and I can see no leak of sorts and I can't really look inside the firebox very well as it is one of those sealed Flame Guard units. I went to the Whirlpool web site and they don't even list a water heater......whazzup whidat?

Any tips or hints on this "sound" in the water heater? Is it just because the water is so cold coming in that the tank develops condensation on it and the condensation drips down on the burner?

Inquiring minds want and need to know.

Dennis Peacock
02-04-2004, 12:31 AM
Boyd,

This is a NEW water heater....only 14 months old. The one I took OUT was 6 years old.

Von,

The septic problem still exists. I have got to do something with it this spring when my tax return comes in....IF....I get any money back this year. ;)