PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Super Jig vs D4R

Steve Milito
09-28-2007, 10:16 AM
I have been through the WEB site a bunch of times, and studied the chart. Does anyone here have any experience with new jig vs the older jig? I was holding out for the new PC omni, but it keeps getting pushed out further and further. I know the D4r has variable sized pins, and the Super jig doesn't. That seems like a small practical difference. Any opinions?

Chris Rosenberger
09-28-2007, 2:24 PM
I have a D4R. I am very happy with it.
Here is a link to a chart that lists the specs of all Leigh jigs.

http://www.leighjigs.com/download/Comparison%20Chart-1.pdf

Aaron Beaver
09-28-2007, 3:07 PM
I am pretty sure I heard someone say that the D4R is made out of better material, okay maybe better isn't the right word, just different material that helped keep the cost down?

Gary Keedwell
09-28-2007, 3:19 PM
I heard the same thing. It is made of solid aluminum where the new cheaper ones are some kind of composite. (resin...plastic?)
Gary

C Scott McDonald
09-28-2007, 11:32 PM
The biggest difference I saw was this on the chart:

Maximum TD Board Thickness
Maximum HB Board Thickness

I am guessing "TD" is Thru Dovetail and HB is Half blind dove tail.

Alan Schaffter
09-29-2007, 8:59 PM
Or you could wait until January 2008 (maybe) until the new, ungraded, PC Omni jig, a Leigh-lookalike, comes out. FWW testers at IWF 2006 (https://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=27116) (yup it has been delayed for awhile) thought it was better than the Leigh.

Steve Milito
09-29-2007, 9:18 PM
Or you could wait until January 2008 (maybe) until the new, ungraded, PC Omni jig, a Leigh-lookalike, comes out. FWW testers at IWF 2006 (https://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=27116) (yup it has been delayed for awhile) thought it was better than the Leigh.

I emailed woodworker dot com and they tell me Feb. That's more than a year late. It is also more expensive than the D4r. Frankly, it not worth the wait.

sascha gast
09-30-2007, 3:51 AM
is it just me or is the original D4(which I have) better in many aspects. same for the D4R, the newer ones seem to have limitations. Not that many of them are that important, but for the first time in years, I really don't feel like I have to upgrade, yay.

they do make nice jigs though, don't they

Barry Martens
10-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Hello Woodworkers,

I noticed some chat about our jigs and I thought I would offer a comment or two. To begin, the D4R jig body is a one piece aluminum (6061) extrusion that has been CNC machined on the top and front surfaces. Side stops are machined in and both surfaces have a machined textured non slip surface.

In contrast, the Super Jig bodies are made from two aluminum (6061)extrusions that are held together with glass filled nylon end housings. Side stops are of the bolt on type and a 3M grip material is applied to the top and front. There is no CNC machining on Super Jig bodies.

The D4R has spilt fingers to facilitate routing larger pins. Larger pins can be routed on Super Jigs using a procedure outlined in a technical bulletin available on the Leigh website.

The D4R and Super Jigs share the same bit set with the exception of the four 1/2" shank bits that can be used only on the D4R.