PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc interchangeable???

Hilel Salomon
09-28-2007, 7:55 AM
My vicmarc chuck is usually occupied with the giant cole/jumbo/whatever jaws, and I'd like to be able to use the other jaws occasionally. I thought of buying another vicmarc, but with almost a dozen other chucks (strongholds, supernovas and one axminster) I'm trying to avoid the expense. I read that Poolewood machinery make one that can use vicmarc jaws, but the folks out there said it wasn't so. Another posting said that Grizzly's chuck could take Vicmarc's jaws. Anyone out there with this experience??
Thanks, Hilel.

John Taylor
09-28-2007, 11:18 AM
HI

if you are talking about the Versachuck HERE (http://www.poolewood.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2epoolewood%2 eco%2euk%2facatalog%2findex%2ehtml&WD=versachuck&PREVQUERY=PR%3d%2d1%26TB%3dA%26SHOP%3d%26SS%3dvers achuck%26ACTION%2ex%3d17%26ACTION%2ey%3d8&PN=Versa_Chuck%2ehtml%23aVERSA#aVERSA) then yes they will take the vicmark jaws. Although the carriers do not come as part of the standard package, they have to be brought seperatlly. Or as a friend did ask for them to be included instead of one of the standard sets.

For more info see HERE (http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks___Accessories/VersaChuck/versachuck.html)

john

Reed Gray
09-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I saw in the latest Crafts Supply catalogue that Oneway now offers slides for their big chuck that will take the big Vicmark jaws. Other than that, get anoter Vicmark.
robo hippy

Jason Clark2
09-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I don't have one (yet) but it's my understanding that the H626X series of chucks from Grizzly will accept the Vicmarc jaws.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6267

At $99 + shipping they're about 60% less than the Versachuck.

Jason

Ken LaSota
09-28-2007, 12:19 PM
I have the grizzly and it works with all my vicmarc attachments.
Ken

Jason Clark2
09-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Ken, Do you recommend it as an acceptable alternative? Any caveats?

I have a set of Vicmarc 19" Cole Jaws I picked up for a song, that would be my intended use for the chuck.

Jason

EDDIE GLAZE
09-28-2007, 3:54 PM
I Own 5 Stronghld Chucks . I Would Trade 3 Of Them For 1 Vicmarc. Buy Another Vicmarc.

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2007, 9:54 PM
Hilel I use the Grizzly chuck that is $99. It will interchange with the Vicmarc jaws. I bought 2 of the Grizzly just for that purpose. I hate changing jaws. The chuck with 1 1/4" X 8 is H6267. On page 121 of there catalog. I use these all the time and are pretty good chucks. Just a thought.

Hilel Salomon
10-02-2007, 3:35 PM
Thanks for the advice, Bernie, I'll buy some Grizzly ones. I'm almost tempted to take up the "offer" of three strongholds for one vicmarc, as I like the stronghold as well. I'm like you Bernie, I hate to change jaws which is why I have so many. Like clamps in the shop though, you can never have too many.
Regards, Hilel.

Hilel Salomon
10-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Before you buy the Grizzly chuck with the expectation that it will accomodate the vicmarc jaws, stop!!!!! I bought two of them and my vicmarc jaws won't fit them. They will accept the nova/supernova ones and I have an abundance of them, so I'll probably keep the chucks, but..... One of two possibilities, since some of you have already had success. Could we be talking about the Vicmarc 3.5" or the VM 100?? Or, has Grizzly changed? Either way, if you're looking for the 6267 to take vicmarc 120 jaws, don't.
Regards, Hilel.

EDDIE GLAZE
10-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Hitel, I Suggested You Should Buy Another Vicmarc Chuck.

Matt Hutchinson
10-11-2007, 10:28 PM
I own a 5" Vicmarc, and I love the idea of having another chuck, but what about safety and quality? I would definitely reserve the big block of green wood for the Vicmarc, but then I have another issue. My lathe has a 1.5" shaft! I know an adapter can be bought, but are there any safety issues with having an adapter, then threaded insert, and then the chuck? Just curious, especially since I have been trying to go full time with turning, and I'm now starting to get some jobs.

Hutch

Hilel Salomon
10-12-2007, 7:55 AM
First, let me say that the Grizzly chucks do accomodate the smaller vicmarc jaws and just about all the supernova ones. They seem to work just fine. Now, as to using adaptors, having had a delta with 1x8 spindle head I wound up having lots of faceplates and a few chucks (such as the smaller axminster) that size. When I switched to a supernova DVR, I had to have 1.25x8 openings, and when I couldn't just switch inserts, I used the adaptors. I've not used them on big pieces , but I have used them with cole jaws. I think that unless you have it on very fast rpm you'll be ok. You can also (and I did this with early nova chuck inserts) tap a small hole and use a grub screw to secure the piece. You might want to see if your spindle head will accomodate this. I know that turners who sand in reverse usually want to secure the chuck or faceplate with such a screw.
Regards, Hilel

Christopher K. Hartley
10-12-2007, 8:51 AM
I Own 5 Stronghold Chucks . I Would Trade 3 Of Them For 1 Vicmarc. Buy Another Vicmarc.Eddie, I own a Stronghold as well and debated over the Vicmarc when I bought it. Could you give us a rundown on why you like the Vicmarc better? I have found some things about the Stronghold that I just don't like at all. Thanks:)

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Hilel is right. The Grizzly chuck will take the Vicmarc VM-100 chuck jaws and I should have stated that. I apologize Helil for that. I am glad it worked out for you with the Nova/Super Nova. I plan one buying on more Grizzly this time 1 1/4 X 8.

For Matt I use I have 3 chucks that are 1 X 8. I then purchased a Nova DVR XP which is 1 1/4 X 8 and bought 2 chucks for it. I bought a 1 1/4 X 8 to 1 X 8 adapter so I could use all the chucks on my DVR and have had no issues with them. The only thing that would concern me would be turning in reverse as the adapter has no screw for safety so I just don't go in reverse with those.

Hilel Salomon
10-12-2007, 12:59 PM
In answer to Chris' question and as an addendum to Bernie's:
I have a total of 6 strongholds and I like the fact that they hold very very well. What I don't like is the fact that when I put the blanks on a spigot w/the strongholds, I have more work to do rebalancing the bowl blank than when I use other chucks. Repeatability is not great. The Vicmarc's repeatability is excellent and it's hold is perhaps as good as that of the stronghold. What I don't like about the Vicmarc is the price! I noticed that it keeps going higher. Having so many chucks, I hesitate to buy an entire chuck rig at those prices. Also, very few outlets will let you buy one w/out jaws and screw.
As for Bernie's point about reverse, many chuck makers have taken to drilling a hole in their inserts to use a grub screw onto the spindle head. If you're going to use an adaptor, you can drill a hole sideways into the adaptor and tap it to whatever size grub screw you want to use. Make sure that the hole is not over the threads of your spindle. Nova DVR XP even recommends use of such a screw. The problem is that doing this will make a small indentation on the spindle head. When I asked Oneway about why they had such a hole, but didn't provide the grub screw for it, they pointed out the fact that their spindle heads could accomodate it, but other manufacturers might not.
I'm visa'd out at the moment, so I'll just make do with what I have.
Regards, Hilel.

EDDIE GLAZE
10-12-2007, 2:41 PM
Chris, Hilel Pritywell Couverd Every Thing, The Other Thing I Don`t Like Is It Is Not Enclosed And You Get Sawdust In Them And Can Be Dificult To Open And Close. I Don`t Know The Cost Of The Vicmarc Or Stronghold In The Usa. In Canada There $315. Each. Look Up Www Vicmarc. Com Then Download There Cataloge They Have Quite A Selection Of Chuck Acsessories.

Allen Neighbors
10-12-2007, 10:46 PM
My lathe has a 1.5" shaft! I know an adapter can be bought, but are there any safety issues with having an adapter, then threaded insert, and then the chuck? Hutch
Matt, I now have a Oneway Lathe with 33x3.5 metric threads. I previously had two SuperNova2 chucks with several sets of jaws, so I bought a SpindleAdapter, so I could use my SN2s, which have 1-1/4x8 inserts. I have runout that I don't like. I can see it, and I think that's too much!
In order to get rid of the runout, I'll have to buy a chuck with 33x3.5 metric threads turned into the chuck body, and that will leave me, once again, with only one chuck that fits my lathe spindle. It's the pits.
I suggest you make agreement with the merchant you purchase a Spindle Adapter from that you can get a refund if it gives you runout. I also suggest that you get one that has set screws, to lock it onto your headstock. That way you can reverse turn safely. I drilled and tapped my adapters for set screws just for that reason. (I also made sure the screws were not responsible for the runout.)
Just my .02.