PDA

View Full Version : Power Feed, spindle moulder/jointer

James Wiseman
09-28-2007, 4:25 AM
I have just fitted a power feed to my combination saw. I have never used/seen in use, a power feeder before, it's main use will be for the spindle moulder but also want to give it a go on the jointer!

I am about to make 31 raised panel rail and stile kitchen doors, have made 4 raised panels for the ends of the cabinets, hand feeding them through the spindle, hence the power feed purchase!

One question I have is that the tyres have a hard paper thin crust, shaved a bit of this off to expose soft/tacky neoprene, it looks like I will need to lathe this crust off! Is this the way to go?

Any advice on power feeding stock would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first post here as I am a member of an Australian forum, but feel this question will be better serviced by US woodies!

Ed Peters
09-28-2007, 8:54 AM
you have there. I have no experienec with feeders so I won't be able to contribute there but I was admiring the raised panel ends you showed and two things caught my eye. First, what is that wood and is it shown in it's natural condition (without finish)? Second, normally a raised panel is mounted in rails and stiles on all 4 sides. You appear to have modified this to eliminate the top rail. Design or oversight?

Ed

Rod Sheridan
09-28-2007, 9:41 AM
Hi James, most feeders have the soft neoprene wheels, without any paper covering. Was your feeder purchased used?

If it is new, I would contact the supplier, perhaps it was a piece of protective wrapper that stayed on the wheel too long and became permanently adhered. If so, they should supply new wheels for you.

Regards, Rod.

Tom Hargrove
09-28-2007, 10:01 AM
How about using either an abrasive pad or a scraper? You should be able to pivot the head to position the tyres/tires in such a way that access to them is quite easy, and the rpm's will be low.

I would try this before removing the wheel assembly and remounting on a lathe.

Travis Porter
09-28-2007, 9:27 PM
I have not heard good things about the stock wheels on a lot of feeders. People who are heavy with power feeders replace the wheels with heavier duty substitutes from what I have read. To get you by, you could just start the feeder up and hold a piece of sandpaper onto them to rough them up.

James Wiseman
09-28-2007, 9:51 PM
Thank's for the replys thus far!

A couple of answers to questions:

The wood in the cabinet is stringy bark, a local eucalipt not generally used in furniture due to it's face checking (as can be seen in the frame). The finish is a comercial tung oil blend. This timber came from the local meatworks which is being demolished, built late 1800's with the color on the top edge of the board being darker due the weathering. Benchtop is 46mm thick tallow wood stained with black japan and tung oiled. The top frame is floating tennon joined and screwed to allow the panel to drop in.

Feeder is second hand, 12 years old, seems to have had little use although one wheel has had an accident (I have turned it around so the damage is on the inside) which should not affect performance. After sanding the wheels they measure 118mm, new the are supposed to be 120mm so not much wear.

Put a new 80grit on the belt sander this morning and gave it a sand, tried this by hand and no go! Sucess this thing now feeds, with the wheels being soft and tacky.

72699 72700