PDA

View Full Version : Protecting workbench feet on concrete

Brian Hale
09-28-2007, 4:15 AM
Building my workbench and for the sled feet I laminated (4) 7/8" pieces of red oak with Titebond II and i'm wondering if i need to be concerned about moisture separating the laminations. The floor is 20 years old, not sealed and in the basement. I hadn't planned on using leveling feet.

Thanks!
Brian :)

Doug Shepard
09-28-2007, 5:19 AM
It may work fine but I'd suggest getting an Ipe 4x4 at a decking supplier. I've had an outdoor cathouse (for a stray) sitting on 2 runners on concrete. No finish and after about 4 years of sitting through snow, standing rain puddles, and hot humid weather there's no sign of being bothered by it one bit.

glenn bradley
09-28-2007, 7:14 AM
I'm guessing that since there will be no leveling feet this bench is being built to stand level in a particular spot. Could you seal an area about a foot square where each foot will set?

My assumption is based on the slant and general non-flatness of my garage floor so I could be off base here. My bench stands sideways, meaning the front of the bench is towards the rollup door and the back is towards the back wall. In this position I use metal levelers to correct the approx. 3/8" difference between the rear and the front feet to achieve level.

Jim Becker
09-28-2007, 8:52 AM
I wonder if just putting a small piece of rubber under each leg would both solve the issue and also insure "no sliding"...

glenn bradley
09-28-2007, 9:09 AM
Ding, ding, ding. I think Jim has a winner. What an elegant solution.

Matt Meiser
09-28-2007, 9:17 AM
I was going to suggest the same--it will self-adjust to the floor and keep it from moving around. I have some under my grinder stand it works great. Mine is a peice that came with a Router Raizer, but look around in the plumbing department at the hardware store. Or cut a few squares from a rubber floor mat. That's what's under my compressor feet and it quiets things down considerably there.

John Thompson
09-28-2007, 9:20 AM
Ditto Jim on a piece of rubber underneath. My current bench has laminated legs done by re-glue of a Doug fir beam I recovered from an old civil war warehouse. I had ripped it down and then decided to laminate for the bench base.

I highly doubt that it would separate with no attention. Titebond III would have almost insured that. But... for insurance.... you could drill and counter-sink in each leg and shoot some 3" sheet metal screws in. Hide the head with a wooden plug.

But the rubber is the simple option. I use a piece of that anti-skid router mat underneath mine. Not only will it get it off the floor, but it won't budge or rack. That was proven when I offered $10 apiece to 6 HS kids to try to budge it without picking it up. Wouldn't move with that router mat underneath. I was happy.. they were frustrated. :D

Sarge..

Jim Becker
09-28-2007, 5:58 PM
Ding, ding, ding. I think Jim has a winner. What an elegant solution.

Do I get anything kewel? :D

glenn bradley
09-28-2007, 6:08 PM
SMC member's undying gratitude? If my floor didn't slant so much, I'd be all over that idea.

John Gornall
09-28-2007, 7:50 PM
I use hockey pucks for bench feet - cost about a buck each - hard rubber 1 inch thick by 3 inch diameter - keeps the wood off concrete.

PS - can cut them to 1/2 thick on a bandsaw.

Brian Hale
09-28-2007, 8:45 PM
The rubber would certainly do the trick and i've god a good amount ~3/32 heavy duty stuff on hand so i might go that route. My other thought was to cut some waterproof glue 50/50 with water and try to saturate the bottoms of the sled base with it. Maybe that'll soak in enough to seal the wood?

As for the floor being flat, well it ain't. I may need to shim a bit here and there but i intend on doing this before i set the top on the bases as i don't want to put any twist into the it.

I've been wanting a "real" workbench for so long i can hardly wait till it's complete! Just have to keep reminding myself to slow down and do it right, no short cuts.... ;)

Thanks!!
Brian :)

Guy Belleman
10-06-2007, 6:18 PM
Brian,

Using some advice I received, I have sealed the bottoms of all my benches with epoxy resin and have had great results. Paint it on, resin flows outs and sets hard, preventing any moisture from wicking up into the wood.

Good luck,
Guy