PDA

View Full Version : Any Delta 28-475X Resaw Experiences?

Jim Kaczmark
09-28-2007, 3:20 AM
I've read the post comparing the Laguna 14SE to the Delta 28-475X. If one had to buy a small bandsaw, it sSounds like the Laguna would be a better saw. However for the price, the Delta still remains attractive to me. Do any of you have any resaw experiences with a Delta 28-475X?

If so, what size blade did you use... what tension were you able to obtain... which fence did you have... how did you install it to the table? Did you have an extension on the saw for larger resaw size? What was the wood / size of resaw?

Thanks for you input!!

Jim

Maurice Ungaro
09-28-2007, 8:04 AM
Jim,
I have the Delta 28-475X (1.5hp), with riser block. I haven't had the need to resaw to its full capacity, but have sawn 8" boards wonderfully. I use Highland's 1/2" Woodslicer blade. There are many wonderful resaw blades out there, but I'm really pleased with this one. As for tension, I just use the calibrated quick release that came on the Delta, and have had ZERO problems with it (it is marked off for blade thickness - 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", etc.).

My fence is the Kreg number, which I bought on sale for $89 a couple of years ago. It's a fine fence, very adjustable, and straight forward. I've also seen very effective and simple shop made fences that clamp to the table top. I found a Kreg curved resaw attachment on sale at Highland, and thought I had to have it, but I'm not that jazzed about it - I prefer to set my fence for blade drift and go with that.

John Bailey
09-28-2007, 9:19 AM
I think, unless you're doing some heavy duty resawing, the Delta will do fine. I've got a 1948 Delta with a 3/4 motor. I've done 5" Teak and Mohagany with my all-purpose 1/4" blade. It handled that well. I've intentionally not put a riser block on the saw, because I think that may be pushing the limits of the saw. However, with a 1 1/2 hp I think you would be able to handle the 12" inch resaw capacity. That is, as long as you don't compare your results, or speed, with one of the larger saws.

John

Jim Kaczmark
09-29-2007, 1:01 AM
Thanks for the replies. No, I will not attempt to be a serious re-sawing fool with this bandsaw, but I know that if it is there, it will be used in that fashion at times.

Maurice your quote: "I prefer to set my fence for blade drift and go with that". I'm newer to woodworking... what did you mean by this?

Thanks,
Jim

Carl Crout
09-29-2007, 12:08 PM
i have the saw with the Kreg fence. Do no attempt to put a 3/4" blade on the saw. The saw frame flexes too much with the tension needed for that size blade. Stick with 1/2 and you will be fine.

Eddie Darby
09-29-2007, 5:29 PM
Laguna do make a nice bandsaw, but it isn't the top 14" saw according to this test.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/upload/contents/335/NOV06PW_40-44_BAND%20SAWS.pdf

Here is the web-page for the Rikon bandsaw.

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm

Rikon have been listening very closely to what their customers say about tools, and what they want in tools, and it shows!

Maurice Ungaro
10-01-2007, 9:27 AM
Thanks for the replies. No, I will not attempt to be a serious re-sawing fool with this bandsaw, but I know that if it is there, it will be used in that fashion at times.

Maurice your quote: "I prefer to set my fence for blade drift and go with that". I'm newer to woodworking... what did you mean by this?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,
When you tension a bandsaw blade, it will invariably end up NOT cutting parallel to the fence mounted to your saw. A simple method of doing a test cut, and adjusting your fence to the direction of the cut will ensure that it now cuts parallel.

If you are new to this aspect of woodworking, you owe it to yourself to get the bandsaw books by either one, or both (I did) noted gurus - Mark Duhginski and Lonnie Bird. They both cover all aspects of setting up the saw, etc.