PDA

View Full Version : Question on filling pores

Pete Ducklow
09-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone -

I am building a gothic revival table out of oak. I am planning on finishing it by staining, sealing with a wash coat of shellac, filling the pores with tinted Pore-O-Pac, and then top coating with shellac. My question is if I use two coats of pore filler, do I need to let the first coat fully cure before putting on the second coat (several days to a week)? Or is it sufficient to just let it sit overnight while the solvent evaporates?

I don't really care about it being glass smooth, but I would like it to look like it's had a century's worth of grime build up in the pores.

Thanks

Steve Schoene
09-28-2007, 12:51 AM
I would give it a couple of days between coats if possible, at least a full 24 hours in warm, dry conditions. There are two reasons. The curing process is aided by oxygen, and if you cut that off with the second coat curing of the first will slow. In addition, the pore filler continues to shrink for a time and if you overcoat too quickly you will increase the chances of having sunken pores.

Pete Ducklow
09-28-2007, 9:34 PM
I would give it a couple of days between coats if possible, at least a full 24 hours in warm, dry conditions. There are two reasons. The curing process is aided by oxygen, and if you cut that off with the second coat curing of the first will slow. In addition, the pore filler continues to shrink for a time and if you overcoat too quickly you will increase the chances of having sunken pores.

Thanks Steve!