PDA

View Full Version : The War

Fred Washam
09-27-2007, 9:25 PM
I hope that you folks have been watching the PBS series The War for the past few nights. It is an amazing look at WW2 from many perspectives. Ken Burns always seems to hit the nail on the head with his documentaries, and this one is no different. Incredible film footage and still photos and commentary from the people who were there. The debt we owe to those brave men and women is incalculable. Ordinary people doing extrodinary things and asking for no recognition for having done so. What a fine legacy for a generation to leave behind. Watch it and you will never look at the people who made these incredible sacrifices the same.
Fred

Gary Garmar
09-27-2007, 9:34 PM
Amen!!!! Probably the last war this country did right. Not to demean those in uniform, they have my utmost gratitude; its the politicians and the MEDIA that have ruined our military. God bless our men and women in uniform. Now as for always in the past the sacrefices made are enormous.

Gary Keedwell
09-27-2007, 9:47 PM
Yea, I'm recording it. Some say were in WW1V right now. WW3 being the cold war. There is a bunch of maniacs out there that don't want us alive. God bless the men and women serving our great country.
Gary

Greg Peterson
09-27-2007, 9:57 PM
Ken Burns delivers another great documentary. This is a stellar example of what public television can and should do.

FDR didn't take an army to war, he took the country to war. It was a shared sacrifice and everyone knew it. And, people were not nearly as self-absorbed.

Indeed the greatest generation. Possibly the culmination of the American Experiment.

Jim Becker
09-28-2007, 8:07 AM
'Just a friendly reminder to stay far away from any political discussion while talking about this program...

Jim
SMC Moderator

Tyler Howell
09-28-2007, 8:28 AM
Great program.
Thank you to all our men and women in uniform.
I wonder if the WW2 & FDR could stand up to the scrutiny(SP)
CNN, the media, & the WWW?

Al Willits
09-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Great program.
Thank you to all our men and women in uniform.
I wonder if the WW2 & FDR could stand up to the scrutiny(SP)
CNN, the media, & the WWW?

I think you hit it, politicians and the media have done more harm than the military can ever do.
We seem to have people who think John Wayne movies is how wars are fought, and killing our soldiers needlessly in the process.

Thanks to all in the military, we are here because of them.

World at war was another program I enjoyed watching.

Al

Randal Stevenson
09-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I was raised more by that generation, then my baby boomer (and just prior babyboomer), parents. (they started into the two working parents, tv and family raises kids generation).

One thing I have always heard, those who fail to remember history, are doomed to repeat it. Let's NOT repeat this, in any of it's forms.

That is as much as I'm saying, because there was definately politics involved in the war.

David Bodkin
09-28-2007, 10:47 AM
It's definitely a powerful documentary and I'm always humbled watching shows on WW2. Our local station is running them all again this Sunday though I'm not sure all are. So, if you've missed some you might could catch them again.

Jude Kingery
09-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Amen - Ken Burns does incredible work and that WWII documentary is amazing; we too have enjoyed watching it! Jude

Dave Sinkus
09-28-2007, 2:24 PM
I am a veteran from the middle 70's, post Vietnam era. I always KNEW the context of the combat stories and battlefield sacrifices, but I was mesmerized by the presentation of how the country went to war....the war bonds, the lights out on the SoutheEast coast due to U-boats.

From absorbing the POW stories from the Pacific Islands - I have vowed not to use the term Batan Death March any more to describe long painful projects at work. I now feel that is being disrespectful.

That was a show I switched to from watching the Bears getting beat, and sould just go back to get the latest score.
Great show and I echo that it was from a great generation.