PDA

View Full Version : Making a new table look old

Jim Young
02-02-2004, 10:09 PM
My wife wants a new table for the dining room. Since we have been renovating our house to a more "old country" look, she wants me to distress(sp?) the table. I will make the top out of some wide board mohagony. I would like to know what people do to make their tops look old. I jokingly told her I would tie a rope to the finished top and drag it behind my truck. She liked the idea but I told her that would only make a mess. Any ideas?

John Miliunas
02-02-2004, 10:17 PM
"Slap" it around a bit with a section of heavy chain. Or, drag it down to your local high school and set it up in their cafeteria for a week or two. That should "distress" just about *any* piece of furniture! :D :cool:

Rob Littleton
02-02-2004, 10:28 PM
My wife wants a new table for the dining room. Since we have been renovating our house to a more "old country" look, she wants me to distress(sp?) the table. I will make the top out of some wide board mohagony. I would like to know what people do to make their tops look old. I jokingly told her I would tie a rope to the finished top and drag it behind my truck. She liked the idea but I told her that would only make a mess. Any ideas?

Dude, bring it round.....

I will tell my 4 year to leave it alone and dont touch it. You want distressed, this thing will be freaked out when he's thru with it :-)

Todd Burch
02-02-2004, 10:38 PM
It really doesn't take that much Jim. Get a rasp and start taking off sharp corners. Get some random tools and start hitting it. An ice pick works, but it usually splits the surface fibers apart. A square-edged hammer, like a cobblers hammer or a welder's hammer, works great for denting. After you add an assortment of dents, dings and divots, add a dark glaze to it to darken those low spots some. I'd probably have more ideas if you posted a picture of it. Todd

Robert Ducharme
02-03-2004, 12:05 AM
If you really want it distressed, my friend has a D-12 bulldozer. He will be happy to help. :D :D :D

Keith Starosta
02-03-2004, 7:33 AM
Dude, bring it round.....

I will tell my 4 year to leave it alone and dont touch it. You want distressed, this thing will be freaked out when he's thru with it :-)

Rob, that is right on, man!!! :D

"Nicholas (my seven year old son), see this table? Do not go near it."

Instant distressing!!!

Seriosuly Jim, my Dad did some really nice distressing of a dining room set using the heavy chain routine. Turned out really nice.

Keith