View Full Version : Not bad for a "turner"

Anthony Yakonick
02-02-2004, 9:38 PM
Progress shots of my saw cabinet. At least it's square!

Details to come.

Todd Burch
02-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Looks like a big box.... What flavor saw will grace it?

Jim Becker
02-02-2004, 10:13 PM
You mean you're not going to round off the corners a little?? :D

Lloyd Robins
02-02-2004, 11:02 PM
I should probably put my saw on a cabinet also. Please keep us advised of your progress. Thanks!

Tony Falotico
02-03-2004, 6:31 AM
Looking Good Anthony, I'm building the same one and about the same progress point as you are. I need to do some slight trimming on the interior panels, mine is a little off square.

I'm thinking of cutting the shelf openings in the back, not the sides. I'm planning an extension table long enough to handle seven ft biesmeyer rails and built in router table, the shelves will be easier accessible from the back rather than the sides.

I'm also thinking of using four non-locking swivel casters and building feet that will 'chock' the wheels 1/4 inch off the floor. This way I have a stable base, but also can move it. It probably won't be moved very often but I sure would like the option to move it without chaining to the truck and pulling it (slight exaggeration there!). Haven't fully worked out the details, but I'm pretty sure my idea will be workable.

Jim Hill 2
02-03-2004, 9:36 AM
My shop is in half of a two car garage so leaving my contractor saw on the folding stand that came with it was not going to work. I studied the Popular woodworking Little Shop and then made my own version to fit my DeWalt DW744. This is what I have so far. I just finished the door to the storage cabinet but don't have a picture of that yet. Still need drawers under the table saw and a door for the router cabinet. Keep up the good work, but don't start any more projects till you have this exactly the way you want it. I'll never get mine done at this rate.

Bill Grumbine
02-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Progress shots of my saw cabinet. At least it's square!

Details to come.

Saw cabinet? Isn't your saw that thing you use to hold rough turnings!?! :D :D :D

Bill

Anthony Yakonick
02-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Hey thanks folks, about two weeks ago I decided I had to do something about my table saws mobility so I did some research and decided on the Woodsmith design. After some study I modified the design due to all those dadoes and will use metal drawer slides. I'm using 3/4" Sandeply (11/16" in real life) and went with 4 swivel full locking casters. The saw is a twelve year old Craftsman.

Just one other note, tho I think of myself as a turner I started my woodworking life making and selling square items at craft shows. Also my father was a life long carpenter/ craftsman who later in life got to work with the big name designers in the area due to his craftsmanship and his ability to spot something 1/8" out of square at 30'(I saw him do it, amazing!). Although he is 87 and just about blind he still retains his knowlege and I often call on hem to work things out. Note: the pipe clamps in the photo were my fathers and are older than most of us here.

Anthony